Company called "Mainline" or "Mainline America" - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2017, 10:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
krs

Default Company called "Mainline" or "Mainline America"

Hi,

To the historians in Large Scale....

I'm trying to determine if there was ever a company called "Mainline" or possibly "Mainline America" that manufactured G-Scale rolling stock.

Specifically the Ore cars that Piko currently offers which I thought were using molds that came originally from MDC.

MDC then somehow merged(?) with Roundhouse - but somehow there is a suggestion that these molds passed through this company called "Mainline"

Anyone have the facts?

Thanks,
Knut
krs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2017, 11:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Seņor Member

Yes,

The company exists, but the train part is gone apparently.

I have it documented here as part of the Roundhouse/MDC/American Mainline/Piko story.

http://www.elmassian.com/index.php?o...391&Itemid=434

Greg

Click here for Greg's web site

Note: Due to the history of acrimony from some members, I might stop responding in a thread, so feel free to ask me questions via email (not private messages).

PLEASE NOTE: I have disabled Private Messaging, please use regular email: greg@elmassian.com
Greg Elmassian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2017, 11:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
krs

Thanks Greg,

So it sounds from the information you posted that the company "Mainline America" actually never produced and shipped any product in G scale (or any other scale for that matter), just some parts they inherited from MDC.

And it's also questionable if Mainline America ever owned the molds for the MDC hoppers or any MDC car for that matter. Seems more likely that Piko beat them to the punch and got the molds

Anyone else have anything to add about Mainline America?
Or has some other information?

Old 02-20-2017, 05:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Dish Washer

Maineline America did produce at least one car. A Monon 2 bay coal hopper. I think they did two maybe three separate runs with different car numbers. I think these were made from left over MDC/Roundhouse parts. I don't think they ever had the molds.

Randy Stone's
Rock Island South RR
Seminole County, Florida
Randy Stone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2017, 01:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seņor Member

The word "produce" here needs definition.

They never had the molds or built NEW parts excepts for the wheels.

They had lots of parts, made their own wheels and sold some assembled cars for a short period.

Greg

Note: Due to the history of acrimony from some members, I might stop responding in a thread, so feel free to ask me questions via email (not private messages).

PLEASE NOTE: I have disabled Private Messaging, please use regular email: greg@elmassian.com
Old 02-20-2017, 04:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Dish Washer

OK, Painted, lettered and Assembled. I can't say that I have any knowledge of them actually producing any parts. Big or small. I can only say what I have and that the Monon Coal Hopper was of very good quality for what it was.

Randy Stone's
Rock Island South RR
Seminole County, Florida
Randy Stone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2017, 04:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Seņor Member

Did you read my page on the history Randy, that will explain it.

I agree on the quality.

Greg

Last edited by Greg Elmassian; 02-20-2017 at 05:00 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
krs

Thanks both for the additional information.

I thought Randy made it pretty clear in his first post.
Quote:
Maineline America did produce at least one car. ....I think these were made from left over MDC/Roundhouse parts. I don't think they ever had the molds.
To me "produce" is an appropriate term.....it has a broad enough meaning to include products that are assembled but where the cpmpany doesn't actually manufacture all the parts from raw materials.
USA Trains for instance is no different, even with their US manufactured "American Series". They do the assembly, painting and lettering but don't actually manufacture the plastic parts.

Knut
Old 02-20-2017, 08:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Seņor Member

Yep, I agree, the definition is up to interpretation, but a little difference of opinion as compared to USA trains, USA trains can, and continues to have parts manufactured... wheras Mainline America was unable to have new components manufactured except the wheels they made themselves.

So, in a way, MA actually is more of a manufacturer, but USAT could get stuff made for themselves.

Overall, it's a pity that MA could not get the molds, as I'd sure like a US company having them, since it would seem their focus would be US prototypes.

Greg

Old 02-20-2017, 09:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
krs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Elmassian View Post
Overall, it's a pity that MA could not get the molds, as I'd sure like a US company having them, since it would seem their focus would be US prototypes.
Even if Mainline America could have gooten a hold of the molds, I really doubt they would have lasted very long.

Just look at all the US Large Scale manufacturers that only lasted a few years:

Delton
Caledonia Express
Early American Trains
Kalamazoo
K-Line Electric Trains
Great Trains
Model Die Casting

Just to name the better known ones.

Just to name the most

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.