G Scale Model Train Forum banner

Pics that Inspire....

41K views 149 replies 30 participants last post by  Totalwrecker 
#1 ·

Above I count at least 3 rr levels.

Yep RR bridges and mines above, crew quarters below....

Well please add your Inspirations here...

John

See less See more
#2 ·
There's a prototype for most anything, I love the details, tho' I think staged, I noticed older brakes and a smaller coupler on the car to the right.

Sprung trucks left solid on the right....

#3 ·
Gosh John;

Those cars are not the same scale! Look how much higher the one on the left is. The rivit counters will impose some kind of penalty for that.

Fortunately, I keep my "Modeller's Licence" in my wallet at all times, so I can prevent attacks by roving bands of rivit counters.

Have fun & great photos,
David Meashey

#4 ·
Great pics John! Yeah, lots of drama there, I love the "verticality," so cool.

That turntable's really neat, I've never seen a raised wall for the guide wheels, almost like a circular bridge. But it's not often that turntables are located on such a slope I guess!

I was just looking at this pic today, so I thought I'd contribute to your examples:

Trestle city. Probably most of them were for trams. This mine was a late-comer to the Virginia City area, so I don't know much about it.

Cliff

#7 ·
Here's a south bound Hoosac Tunnel & Wilmington RR log train approaching Readsboro, VT from the north.

That's locomotive #9, a Grant Locomotive C-16 built for the railroad.

Don't know if that is the same log train from the first photo, but the locomotive is the #9. This view is looking north at the village of Readsboro, VT.
The wedge shaped building on the left is part of the cardboard box factory that was the main industry in Readsboro. The building on the left center
is the car shop and the building on the right is the enginghouse. The building at the end of the string of log cars is the station. The railroad was built
to 3 foot gauge but was converted to standard gauge in 1913. Was a neat New England narrow gauge railroad.

#8 ·
The Older I get the less I remember...
Sometimes the pic is so impressive I'll think I'll always remember that.
And the next day I'm wondering where that pic came from...

More than once and every time I'm positive I'll remember this time.

Sorry nope...

#9 ·

Breaker Boys Woodward Coal Mines, Kingston Pa.

I believe these are in Goldfield Nev....

#11 ·
I love this one:

Scranton PA 1901

Notice on the right, the 1870's-era locomotives, perhaps 2-6-0's or 2-8-0's, with the fancy fluted domes,
now demoted to yard switchers by the massive new 800-series 4-8-0 camelbacks, who have just arrived on the property.

And a close-up of that latest and greatest mainline power, one of those 4-8-0 camelbacks:

Also Scranton PA 1901

(if your browser re-sizes those two photos to fit on your screen, be sure to click on them to open them up full-size!)

Scot

#12 ·
Posted By Totalwrecker on 03 Jan 2014 11:02 AM

Well please add your Inspirations here...

John

John.. On third photo, is that a Santa fe box car? Sure looks like it.

#15 ·
Posted By Amber on 03 Jan 2014 09:27 PM
It looks like a Santa FE car, but notice that it has plug doors, not a sliding door. It's a bit hard to tell, but it might have ice hatches on the roof.

Good call, notice how it's all by itself? I wonder if they brought the Nitro in,in it?

Most of these come from University Archives with litle notations, not history books.

John

#18 ·
I think this guy keeps track of who falls....

King Copper. Millwaukee box cars...

I'm thinking Goldfield area of Nev. Don't trust my A'thinkin' It's Globe Az. edit 11:09

Cliff, nice bridge.

#22 ·
Posted By Amber on 03 Jan 2014 09:27 PM
It looks like a Santa FE car, but notice that it has plug doors, not a sliding door. It's a bit hard to tell, but it might have ice hatches on the roof.

Your right Amber... Got to 400 mag. it show two boys setting by it on the bridge, two guys looks like loading the wagon with R.R. Ties. and a woman standing on the left of it..
Ref.has ice hatches and still looks like Santa fe and maybe bang boom stuff stored in the car. Neat pic.

#23 ·
From Gila Bend to The Silverbell Mine West of Tucson Az. Near the mine.

D and H RR

MKT at high tide....

Caption sez Portland Tender sez (something)Pacific so Oregon rain....

Forney

Thanks to all who have added to this thread All are welcome to post as long as RR related.

John

#24 ·
Posted By SD90WLMT on 04 Jan 2014 10:17 AM
Say John......

" Goldfield" ....eh...

How 'bout " Tonopah"...?
...it's much more hilly there...

Dirk...both still have incredible offerings to see and photograph...!!!! Howabout Globe Az ....??? found another pic properly labeled for the pic where I said I was a thinkin'....

I found that Pay car that Amber posted back in 2001, took me several years to find it's home in the San Joaquin Valley.... see the link.

John

#26 ·
OK- Here are a few photos of a static nature, since I have been researching train sheds and barns, i found these wandering the web

And finally, a photo of a Long Island RR work train in Floral Park, Long Island, NY. 1951. The year I moved there with my parents from Brooklyn. I was 3.

And I still remember the smell of coal smoke, it would take a few minutes to get to our house after the loco passed. And I remember the manual gates, and for some reason recall an iron oval hoop the operater placed over the handles that controlled the gates to keep them up.

Jerry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.