G Scale Model Train Forum banner

For Sale: USAT J1e Hudson & 6 Aristo NYC Heavyweights

8K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Pete Thornton 
#1 ·
This awesome train was purchased last year when I thought I wasn't going to be able to buy a Dreyfuss Hudson. However, I did, so this whole consist is cluttering up my shelves and is no longer needed.

USA Trains J1e Hudson Steam Locomotive $1795 o.b.o plus shipping

Aristocraft Heavyweight Coaches, NYC, $150 each o.b.o plus shipping

- RPO/Baggage
- combine
- 2 coaches
- 2 observations (one converted to a coach)

The coaches have been acquired over the years. Most have 3-axle trucks (but you can remove the center axle.) All have shortened coupler mounts, so they sit 1" closer together - photos show this best (see below.) They are not all the same blue/grey color, as Aristo varied the plastic over the years, but they are close enough to look good.

The whole shebang was run just once - this video is the only outing for the USAT J1e Hudson, which was purchased at Star Hobby, where they demonstrated it worked, and it ran on Dwight's layout for just one circuit - the one you see here:

The coaches are all used, and some have a few scratches. I used to run a couple of them behind my Aristocraft Pacific 10+ years ago. I found a brand-new RPO on Star Hobby's shelf last year, and when I acquired the other 3 (combine, coach, observation) I ended up with 2 observations, so I made a new end for one - there's a thread on LSC about that. You can't tell, apart from the marker lights on the coach, and I have all the parts to make it into an observation again, using a screwdriver.

Here's the Observation with the new coach end, next to a regular coach:

I have original boxes for 3 coaches; though they show signs of wear they will protect the contents for shipping. I will sell the items separately or together [so I will hold off on selling individual coaches for a few days to let you think about owning the whole consist!] Currently located in Maryland, but could be taken to Florida when I head south if you want them delivered.

See less See more
1 4
#6 ·
So many answers...
.. so many thoughts...
.. & so little time...
Yes.. real H.W. cars could be as short as 60ft for baggage express.. up thru cars in the 70 - 72ft. groups.. n beyond.. with many cars built in the 80 - 85ft class...

Ya have yur picks here!!!

Dirk...

#7 · (Edited)
My memory, suggests that the coaches were based on Jersey Central commuter cars. My speculation is that AristoCraft then based the other cars on that basic design. I doubt that CJ had Pullmans, diners and some of the other cars. I have about 8 cars, from postal to observation, in the B&O livery. I doubt that the B&O ever had those specific cars. I pull them with an AristoCraft Mikado, or Mallet. I also pull them with USAT F3 AB. Those are all 1:29 and look great to me.

Chuck

#8 ·
There was a big discussion on the Aristo site, and Aristo produced the prototypes they were supposedly modelled after. I'm sure that those cars did exist on SOME roadname, but I doubt they were prototype in every road name Aristo sold them under.

Greg

#10 · (Edited)
Chuck

The Delton cars were 1:24. The HWs are very different.

Chuck

The Delton cars are very similar in length to the LGB D&RGW coaches. The Aristo heavy weights are very close, in length, to USAT and Aristo (full length) stream liners. Cars 1, 2,and 3 are USAt, 4, 5, and 6 are Aristo Heavyweights, and the last car is an Aristo full length stream liner.

These are all longer than the Delton and LGB 1:24 cars.

Two Aristo cars. The last car is a full length car, not a short Aristo Stream liner.

Lastly, the Delton cars all had open ends, not closed, and a lot fewer windows.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.