New Indoor Layout - New Reckless Experimentation - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2011, 10:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Indoor Layout - New Reckless Experimentation

New Indoor Layout - New Reckless Experimentation

I have been reluctant to post this, mostly as I’m still just experimenting with this more than anything, but I have been working on a small switching layout, using a portion of the old benchwork left over from the old layout: It’s based on an N gauge micro I came across a few years ago:

I have been feeling alot of regret after dismantling the large fixed layout, but I still know it was the right thing to do, it was just too large and ate up too much of the garage, but I found less satisfaction with just the pizza than I was hoping for, I was looking thru some old files and found this layout I had done for a friend who was retiring and looking for a small bedroom layout. He didn’t use it as he found room outside for a small layout, but I became intrigued if it would fit in the garage, laid it out and it fit very very nicely into the back corner. I extended it a little but it worked out well. I already had all the lumber, plywood and hardware laying around so a little bit of carpentry and the benchwork was built in a couple evenings. The track also was what I already had in storage, so far aside from some electrical wiring stuff and some connectors I haven’t spent a dime on this. I still to make a hinge assembly and rail connectors with the lift-up bridge.

This will be a much more urban themed layout this time, going to keep it simple this time maybe even go as more akin to Dave Barrow’s Domino approach where the scenery is Spartan almost to the point of being barren, while the track and operations aspect takes precedent over scenery aspects. I want to have something fun to run trains on but want to avoid creating something so involved that if I have to remove it again it gets very destructive to do so I might experiment with just painted scenery and façade only buildings, we’ll see. Trackwork is complete, electrical testing is underway, so far so goode, I will shoot the track with a coat of flat black spray paint. Need to think about an Ops system. Keep it simple to start. There are buildings to build, and scenery to paint, I also have to take 2 small 0-27 layouts and mash them into 1 small but don’t expect fast progress, this is a slower motion experiment.

Pics when I can.
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2011, 06:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default RE: New Indoor Layout - New Reckless Experimentation

Wow! That should provide unlimited switching challenges.
Jim Agnew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2011, 07:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Dish Washer

Hi Vic

Looks like a fun little layout.

Randy Stone's
Rock Island South RR
Seminole County, Florida
Randy Stone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 07:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Dish Washer

Vic

You have a lot of switches.

How do you plan to operate them all?

In seeing your proposed layout with all the switches reminded me of an HO layout my father once built.

He used string to operate all the switches from the control location.

He used a spring to hold the switch for the main line or straight. Then the string was atached to pull the switch closed for the curve.

He had handles on all the strings so he could pull the string, close the switch for the curve and then hook the handle so the switch stayed for the desired track.

He had the string run through eyes that screwed into the bench work.

It worked very well.

Randy Stone's
Rock Island South RR
Seminole County, Florida
Randy Stone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2011, 07:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Randy they are all digitally operated ...namely you use the digital devices located on the end of your knuckles ;-)

They are manual control but I am using a Crest Basic Train Engineer control so I have hands free walk around control. It worked really well on the old layout.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

Aha! So this is what the big secret was all about!

Continuous run and lots of switching - even looks like you got a 'Wye' worked in there. Everything reachable
at first glance.

Strings to control switches? Hmmm...have to think about that. Mine are manual - but I did pick up a few
remote switches - minus the directions. Have to figure out how to wire them sometime.

So what is to become of the pizza now? Will it languish or will it eventually be connected to the rest?
ThinkerT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2011, 10:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

The pizza is its own layout. Its the detailed layout, this one is more for Ops. Was out testing everything, seams to be working OK, even the wye is working as intended (thanks Atlas controllers) so its up and running.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

Very good use of space, interesting as well, lots of switches, difficult to navigate without backing up. You would probably be limited to smaller rolling stock.
I have been planning a small indoor layout (8'X14') for quite sometime but I have yet to come with a satisfactory one.
mbendebba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2011, 08:44 AM   #9 (permalink)

Victor;

Looks like a LOT of fun. I forgot about the Atlas switch for controlling wyes. Thanks for bringing that back to my attention.

Best,
David Meashey
Dave Meashey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2011, 09:55 AM   #10 (permalink)

vic that looks like a great layout-very cleverly routed
im thinking trains will be limited to 1-2 cars in order to negotiate the switchbacks and team tracks -perhaps more using FRR type stock

and

you envision urban..
i envision something like virginia city-a desert town, adjacent to a mine (the three track yard area)
perhaps even mexican

clever too how youve made arm reach feasible
stevedenver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.