Shinkansen 500 Japanese Bullet Train Gauge-1 - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2010, 03:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Shinkansen 500 Japanese Bullet Train Gauge-1

Greetings everyone, this will be my 1st post here. I started a thread over on Trains.com, about a project I am starting. I though you guys might ne interested as well. I'm not sure how many people on either forum bounce back and forth, but for those that have not seen it here's my little project. After some great advice, I decided to go with Gauge-1 for this train. Any additional advice or suggestions would be great !!! (coppied and pasted)

Greetings everyone.
This is my 1st post here, so please be gentle.

I'm a scale model builder/fabricator by trade, and I have been throwing a few ideas around in my head for a while now. I've started to put pen to paper now, and have realized, I am getting my self in allot of trouble I think.

I have always loved the sleek design of the Japanese bullet trains, and have been thinking about building a BIG replica. The largest version of this train available is "O" gauge. It's a very well built, working brass train, that is available in Japan. After looking into importing a copy, I was quoted $32,000 to have the set shipped to me. BUT.. only 4 of the 12 unique cars are available so far, and I would have to wait till later this year, or possibly next year the other 8 cars to be produced. Needless to say, the price itself turned me off.

So here I am, back at the drawing board, thinking BIGGER IS BETTER !!
I have the skills, abilities, to build this train in almost any scale.
Right now, I am still trying to decide......
1:27 (scaled the the wheel diameter)
1:29 (more standard for scale)
1:33.3 (scaled to the 45mm track width, to = the Japanese truck width)

1:33.3 would be "G-Gauge" scaled to what a real "G Scale" would be, but he train will be quite a bit smaller, only 41 feet long, as where 1:27 it would be 59 feet long. Either way, it's going to be BIG !!!

Ok, here's my million dollar question.... Do any of you guys think that there would be anyone interested in buying a copy of this train if and when we got it done?
I am trying to justify the cost that will go into making this set, because I plan on making a custom profile aluminum extrusion, to get the body perfect, and as straight as possible. The up front costs on making a profile like this will be in the thousands, but I would also have enough to build 4-5 sets when I was done. Plus, the labor would be very minimal compared to trying to form sheets into a complex small curve.
So, I am trying to find out if you guys think there is any market for a G Japanese bullet train of this size.

Thanks for any help and advice.
James
Check out some of the work I have done over the years.
Model-Displays
radicalrouting
The Puzzle Box

Here's a quick link (reference material) to the $32,000 brass version, (that I will NOT be buying)
Radical Routing

Pic of the real thing.
JRW-500-nozomi.jpg
(Image exceeds max width of 800 pixels changed to link. SteveC mod.)[/i]
Toy Maker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2010, 03:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default RE: Shinkansen 500 Japanese Bullet Train Gauge-1

WOOOOO that picture is HUGE... Your site does not scale the photos huh ?? Well, here's a few more.

Ok, here is my little sample. 1:32-G "Wide Gauge"
Its about 4" tall 4.5" wide, and 41" long. 1/8 laser cut acrylic, with 1/8" aluminum rods to keep everything aligned. I am thinking about using .010 acetate to wrap the whole thing.
I see a few things I'd do different the 2nd time around, but as-is, it's really ridged already.
I'm seriously considering building the whole train this way. So far, what you see is about $10 worth of materials, and about 3 hours of work.

DSC02696.jpg
DSC02697.jpg
DSC02698.jpg
DSC02699.jpg
DSC02700.jpg
(Images exceed max width of 800 pixels cahnged to link, SteveC mod.)[/i]
Old 07-20-2010, 03:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

It will sell I guess; there are people loving those modern snakes ;-)
1:33 /45 mm very comes close to gauge 1 (1:32), so I think it will surely have Märklin Gauge 1 riders worldwide attention.

Me? No way! I like the old stuff! Dirty and steamy.
That's why I love your model of the old London Bridge way by far more! Superb!

Old 07-20-2010, 03:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

James,
If I were you, I wouldn't start creating 'new' scales in this hobby.
We have enough already.
The 'standard' and correct scale for Gauge 1 (45mm track) is 1:32.
I don't know how come your model is 41" long!
If it is a 25m car, then at 1:32 it should only be 30.75" long.
I have seen my 14 and 16 car Daylight trains which are a similar length, but they need a big track otherwise they look a little silly.
Good luck with the project.
All the best,
David Leech, Delta, Canada
David Leech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2010, 04:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

I don't think there would be a market for a bullet train in this country. Possibly you might find some interest in Japan. Modelers here model American prototypes mostly; some European, but not too many. A bullet train for one thing would require very large radius curves that may not be available in most garden railways, except for a few with really large acreage. I have the acres, but I'm not into bullet trains. It would be great to see it running. I build in 1 1/2" scale; not live steam, but in wood, metals and plastics. I have built a 4-4-0 camelback and a Swedish class D, 1-C-1 electric engine. I am presently working on an AGEIR diesel. All my models are powered from self contained lead acid storage batteries. I have a complete wood and metal working shop so I can build just about anything within reason. Contact me if you would like to discuss this or other projects.
Mr Ron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2010, 04:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to NTCGRR

1:29th is the right scale, the track gauge is wrong.
do you have a photo of one?
I can probably find them on youtube.

Marty Cozad
North Table Creek GRR
Nebraska City, NE
Is it "REAL" or just 1:29 th
NTCGRR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2010, 06:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

James,

Did you work on the "Old London Bridge" on the model-displays.com website? That bridge is awesome.

Sorry, steam is king!!

David
dkilby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2010, 08:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yeah, I'm pretty much just building it for myself. While I'm makling one, I may as well make a 2nd. If anyone down the road should ever want it, I'll have the majority of it already built.
My favorite movie quotes, "" First rule in government spending: Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price "" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-1n1BliRQ8

From the info i have gotten so far, it seems that Gauge-1 will the the correct scale, to run the train on a 45mm G track.
This train runs on 1435mm track... if we scale it 1:32, we get 44.84375mm almost perfect.
Below is a real nice little track gauge chart I got off Wiki.

@ David: ( correct me if I'm wrong )
Yes the main cars are 25m each, and the 2 end cars are 27m each (I'm going to do this in mm, it'll be easier for me)
(25,000mm*14 = 350,000mm) + (27,000*2 = 54,000mm) = 404,000mm total length.
404,000mm / 25.4 = 15905.5" / 12" = 1,325.5' / 1:32 = 41' - 5" (roughly) check it though, make sure I got it right.

So as where a standard train running on standard track might be 1:29th, the bullet trains run on much wider tracks. And if we scale the train down to the track size, we get a 1:32 scale model of the original.
Actually, I was glad that all the numbers worked out to "realistic" scale, based on the G track size.

@ NTCGRR:
Yes, I have tons of photos. Here is a link to a page I put together of ref. info for myself.
http://www.radicalrouting.com/500/

and here is a link to TONS of Google images
http://www.google.com/images?rlz=1T...amp;tab=wi

@ dkilby:

Yes, my old business partner and I built the bridge from scratch. It went to a tourist attraction over in London. Took us about 6 months, and was 20 feet long, and 4 feet wide when it was finished.
Everything you see on any of my websites, either myself, my partner, or the two of us together built it.

Here is a nice photo of the actual high speed tracks... Looks like this is going to be all custom as well
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...on_001.JPG

Gauge picture:
http://www.radicalrouting.com/500/gauges.jpg
Old 07-21-2010, 12:22 AM   #9 (permalink)

I'm not a big fan of modern stuff but that sure is a beautiful train.

http://www.raydunakin.com
Ray Dunakin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2010, 01:41 AM   #10 (permalink)

Toy Maker, The Shinkansen uses standard gauge track so it is best to use 1:32 scale (gauge 1). That will be long enough. While you are planning please consider the most spectacular new addition to the Shinkansen roster which is entering service this year - the E5. http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:N...xNukIxapsNvpg=
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E5_Series_Shinkansen No commercial models of this Shinkansen are available yet. I hope to ride one next year!! Best wishes from Tokyo, Zubi
zubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.