MLS Masterclass 2006 CP Huntington FINALLY finished - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2015, 12:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default MLS Masterclass 2006 CP Huntington FINALLY finished

MLS Masterclass 2006 CP Huntington FINALLY finished

No kidding! Sherman set the Wayback Machine for 2006;

When a fairly wet behind the ears still newbie kitbasher in large scale, who had previously only done a small number of relatively easy bashes decided to really test himself by doing the David Fletchers scratchbuild Masterclass project on MLS which was the CP Huntington 4-2-4.

Now I was learning ALOT with this terrific class but halfway thru building I found that the design wasn't going to work that well on my R1 curves, the rear swung WAY out and hit things YIKES, what to do, I had to veer off the program and improvise. My decision was to cut off the bunker, move the cab forward and build a 4-2-0 teakettle. First was modifying the chassis thus:

Once I was pretty sure it worked I moved forward with the rest of the build:

Then built up the boiler and cab:

With that I moved it along to a certain point of finished work:

And that was pretty much where I left it at about 2007, when my indoor layout became an on and off again affair I just kept this as a display model. I was very proud of this as it was my first more or less true scratchbuild. my first attempt at running it on the pizza were a failure, it keep jumping the tracks and jamming into the scenery. So I left it as display item:

And thus its been since.
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2015, 12:59 AM   #2 (permalink)

Until today...

I decided that if that after much violence and bloodshed, some of my other large models now run on the pizza I would give this one another try. This time I systematically figured out where each problem was and fixed it, usually with unspeakable violence to the layout. Also I remounted the tender latch for the drawbar, the main reason it was jumping the tracks turned out to be not it hitting the side of the layout, well that too, but that the standard LGB loop had a raised ridge on its inside that would catch the drawbar hook, ride up on it jamming it and triggering a derail. Once I cut it smooth (and did unspeakable violence to the layout) it now runs well on the layout ....in ONE direction, I'll take that as a success... :-)

One I had it working I decided to raid the parts boxes and add some last missing details and give the whole thing a nice shiny glosscoat! Here she is finally finished after a short lull of oh..8 years ;-)

I'm still looking for a few harder to find details I'll add as I go but she's done and ready to pull a short string of Lil Haulers at the shows!

Last edited by vsmith; 06-24-2015 at 01:07 AM.
vsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2015, 01:14 AM   #3 (permalink)

Oops! I just realized that the challenge was in 2005! So its been dang near 10 years since I started the project!

Old 06-24-2015, 10:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Looks great! I've got a few passenger car projects that are coming up on 10 years not being finished, so now I don't feel too bad.

Later,

K
East Broad Top is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2015, 05:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Looks great Victor! Good job!!
Dwight Ennis is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2015, 07:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

There is a lot to be said for persistence! Congratulations on a sweet little engine.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

I will admit to a Hunington Doozie project that has been sitting on a shelf for 20 years.

Dick http://www.mdlsrs.com/MarylandCentral
Richard Weatherby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2015, 10:24 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks guys, I'm just glad I can start to enjoy using it now. Going thru the roster, as I've more or less officially run out of space for new projects, I'me going to go back over everything to evaluate its usage, and make any necessary changes plus weathering/detailing. I'm getting tired of looking at all these half finished projects.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:54 AM   #9 (permalink)

To whom it may concern, due to circumstances beyond my control (Vertical Scope screwing the pooch and deleting 80MB of my photo history three months ago with no resolution) This and all other threads of my 10+ years of activity on this site are now closed, if you are curious please look to my identical threads on LargeScaleCentral which in the coming months I will attempt to re-edit photos into from my personal archives once I have a new storage site up and running. It was fun while it lasted but the collective of monkeys now running this site now have soured my experience. Have a good day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.