EBT Caboose #26 - Page 2 - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2009, 05:25 AM   #11 (permalink)

Default RE: EBT Caboose #26

Real impressive, Kevin. Enjoyed the black and white photos.
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2009, 05:38 AM   #12 (permalink)

Really nice Kevin, it really looks the part.
On the subject of fogging windows I used to use my then wifes pearl nail varnish painted on the inside of my 7mm coach toilet windows.However I now simply wipe over the inside face of the windows with fine abrasive paper, sometimes with a bit of water to lubricate and stop deep scratches, works for me.
Regards
David
david bunn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2009, 07:28 AM   #13 (permalink)
Super Moderator

It'd probably help if I posted the black and white photos, so y'all would know what Ric was referring to. I had a little fun with Photoshop.

I still haven't found the perfect "recipe" for getting the look of many of the old EBT photos in my collection, but it's fun trying.

David, I'll have to play around a bit. I tried sandpaper and ultra-fine steel wool, and it kept coming out looking like scratched plastic. A friend had suggested at one point pouring MEK down the back side of the plastic to give it something of a wavy look. I experimented with swiping the back with the plastic cement I had in the shop, and it turned the plastic white in streaks. I suppose that could have been because I physically wiped it instead of pouring it over, though. Not enough in the bottle to try that technique. Like the black and white photos, it's fun trying (though the Photoshop experiments don't offend the olfactory senses quite to the same level).

Later,

K
East Broad Top is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2009, 11:08 AM   #14 (permalink)

Kevin,
Quick question for you. When you used the aluminum tape did you peel off the backside of the tape and lay down the tacky side on the caboose, or did you just glue the tape on as it comes of the roll? I ask because I'm trying to use aluminum tape through a paper crimper for corrugated siding, but when I peeled the tape off, it ruined the crimping. What did you use to glue it on?
Thanks,

Craig
bnsfconductor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2009, 01:59 PM   #15 (permalink)

Kevin,

Late as usual (don't know how I missed your first post). Anyway, great work (as usual). And just what I had in mind in building my side door caboose, which is among the many projects that are yet to be completed or even begun.

I plan to print out your post and save it, which makes me wish, yet again, that your work and that of other MLS modelers belongs in a magazine or in a "One Shot," one of those books Kalmbach sells for $15 or whatever.
joe rusz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2009, 03:24 PM   #16 (permalink)

Kevin,

Very very nice model!

Great job!

Thanks for posting.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:32 PM   #17 (permalink)

Kevin, reread the beginning of your caboose post. It was I (me) who e-mailed you about using a flat car as a platform for a caboose--for my Pacific Coast Railway side door caboose.
joe rusz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2009, 12:40 AM   #18 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Craig, I use the adhesive back of the tape to stick it to the roof. If you want a corrugated roof via the crimper, try paper and silicon adhesive. You'll want something with some body to it so it reaches into the corrugations. I used paper because I found it difficult to bend the brass sheet (.005") counter to the corrugation, and the paper worked better. After the glue dried, I coated the paper with polyester (fiberglass) resin to give it some stiffness. Alternatively, Plastruct sells some corrugated styrene sheet that works well for large scale, and bends to fit roofs very easily.

Later,

K
East Broad Top is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2009, 09:16 AM   #19 (permalink)

Another mind-blowing work of art! That close-up pic of the caboose step looks like the real deal. Awesome details! The black & white photos do give a sense of the past but I like the color photos best as they show the weathering better. Congrats on another master piece.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:37 PM   #20 (permalink)

Awesome work. you build some great models.

Scott McKittrick
West Covina, CA
trainmaster1989 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.