which concrete is more waterproof - Page 2 - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2011, 09:55 PM   #11 (permalink)

Default RE: which concrete is more waterproof

I don't think anyone answered your question. Portland is a generic technical type of cement. Quikrete is a franchised brand name who sells Portland cement. Products containing sand and gravel with cement are concrete with 3,000-5,000 psi strength. If you are casting with small bricks, you may want to consider a precision grout meeting ASTM C1107, sometimes with 5,000-9,000 psi strength. This grout is NOT to be confused with tile grout or anchoring cements. Generally grouts do not contain large aggregate such as gravel. Also do not confuse Portland cement with masonry cements, generally premixed as type "M", "S", & "N". Well vibrated and well cured (kept damp for several days) concrete is fairly waterproof. Any concrete can crack for many reasons. A trough with a flexible waterproof coating would be good.

Dick http://www.mdlsrs.com/MarylandCentral
Richard Weatherby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2011, 02:05 PM   #12 (permalink)

Thanks everyone. I really like Greg's idea for the coating. I've downloaded their website.

Incidentally, there were prototypes for canal and aqueduct railways. For example:

http://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2009/...nal-boats.html

I'll start an aqueduct thread and start posting soon. I've already cast the first 2 uprights and will begin my first arch this weekend

Dave V
SE18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2011, 03:47 PM   #13 (permalink)

I will tell you that I have 2 fountains and this stuff has worked for me for 20 years, and they are in constant motion.

Regards, Greg

Click here for Greg's web site

Note: After 15,000 posts, and the acrimony from the anti-bully and liquid refreshment imbibers, responding may not be not worth it. If you have questions just use private email.

PLEASE NOTE: I have disabled Private Messaging, please use regular email: greg@elmassian.com
Greg Elmassian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2011, 05:14 PM   #14 (permalink)

Those are real nice fountains greg. And I thought your entire backyard was just trains.

Thank god the wife dont read this site or I might have a delay in my railroad construction.

Deadwood & Black Hills Western [/b] High Line of the Black Hills[/i]

Jake Smith, Chief Engineer - Hayward, SD
jake3404 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2011, 05:23 PM   #15 (permalink)

Trains run behind that fountain: (fountain is straight ahead) - 34 foot passing siding...

And in front too (although what you see below lifts out)...

A lot of work to shoehorn in 800 feet of track...

Greg

Note: After 15,000 posts, and the acrimony from the anti-bully and liquid refreshment imbibers, responding may not be not worth it. If you have questions just use private email.

PLEASE NOTE: I have disabled Private Messaging, please use regular email: greg@elmassian.com
Old 03-18-2011, 08:06 AM   #16 (permalink)

Nice fountain!!!

Del, I know that pond liners work but that's when they're being used for ponds. With irregular, elongated extreme shapes, a lot of PVC gluing (or EPFM sewing) is required and therein lies the possibility of leaks. Greg's coating is ideal for unusual applications.
SE18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2011, 05:12 PM   #17 (permalink)

I forgot, I believe that rubber coating is available in black, white and gray too. So you can pick a color that blends somewhat. You can apply with a roller or paintbrush.

My landscaper, who made both fountains, was always having leaks in the fountains he made, and this is the only product he uses now.

The blue marble fountain has two separate water basins, and lots of curves and corners.

Regards, Greg

Old 03-20-2011, 06:03 PM   #18 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Gee Greg. I thought you live in San Diago, Not the jungles of South America. None of those plants are "Man Eating" are they?

Once again I have learned form a thread that has nothing to do with what I am doing. I am inspired.

I hope to see pictures of the Aquiduct.

JJ
Old 07-25-2014, 04:02 AM   #19 (permalink)

I am new to this forum and I was doing some searching around for aquaducts and ran across an old thread of yours...

"which concrete is more waterproof
OK, so concrete isn't really that waterproof, but between straight Portland and Quikrete, which would work better to hold water?

Here's what I'm doing. I'm building a humongous aqueduct in my backyard. I poured one of the pillars yesterday in fact. The aqueduct will carry water (of course), and a railroad track"

I was wondering would there be a place I could still see photos of this aquaduct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE18 View Post
OK, so concrete isn't really that waterproof, but between straight Portland and Quikrete, which would work better to hold water?

Here's what I'm doing. I'm building a humongous aqueduct in my backyard. I poured one of the pillars yesterday in fact. The aqueduct will carry water (of course), and a railroad track.

Plan B: I'll build it, test it, and if it leaks a little, I'll try waterproofing epoxy or some other coating.

Plan C: should plans A & B fail, I'll throw a liner inside and be done with it

Anyway, if the leak is big enough, I'm thinking it will be easier to detect since the aqueduct will be raised about 15" off the ground. Also, the leak could be detected by segmenting portions of the aqueduct using mortar dams, which could then easily be removed with grout removal tools or such abrasives as rub-a-brick.

If there's any interest here, I can post construction photos. I'm designing it with miniature bricks, which are set in concrete, as well as fake brick containment sheets using hot wax for simulated mortar joints; a technique someone used on this forum in the track and bridges section. I can post progress or disaster either here or garden section

Thanks

Dave V
emale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2014, 11:42 AM   #20 (permalink)

Depending on the finish you want plastering it may work too. That's how the concrete is sealed in swimming pools. Not sure what the final result may be. Just an idea......

Bill
rntfrmme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.