A Beginner's Site in Southern AZ - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2013, 10:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default A Beginner's Site in Southern AZ

Since it was suggested by SD90WLMT AKA Dirk that there would be interest in another Southern AZ site I'm giving this a shot. In the past I've had HO and N gauge trains but since moving to AZ from CA I finally have room for G scale. Thanks to the guys at the Train Stop in Tucson I received a Aristocraft Live Steam Mikado for Christmas several years ago and that really started this project. As I'm a total newbie to the scale, MLS members have been a great help and inspiration. My site is about 70' x 35' and wraps around a mesquite tree that has some of the wife's roses planted around it. I'm not into kneeling on gravel all the time so two walls were required to raise the site about 20" above grade and separate the tree and roses from my "toys". Track planning has been done with 2 of the commercial software packages available and track spacing is based upon suggestions from MLS members to questions posted in the Beginner's Forum. I'm planning on staying with 1:29 and 1:24 scale, but again at suggestions from MLS folks I'm going to build big enough to handle 1:20.3 in case there are visitors that want to run their own equipment.
The project has gone from "When I win the lottery" size to "Darn that's a lot of bricks to carry."
200 bricks for around the tree and roses then 1600 (10+ pallets) for that 20" wall. Add 14 dump truck loads of dirt, trench in 2 power drops (1 20 amp the other 15 amp) and a water supply. That's were I'm at so far. As soon as I figure out how to add photos to this site I'll do so. I'm sure I'll get plenty of feedback, along with chuckles, guffaws, and shaking heads from members. Alll suggestions are appreciated, although some will be taken with a grain of salt, I'm sure.
fyrekop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2013, 10:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default RE: A Beginner's Site in Southern AZ

Welcome to the moving dirt corps. We have all been there and the results are worth it. My RRs in Colorado and Virginia required moving material. My quasi temporary RR in Sun City sits on a patio. It comes out when we arrive and goes in when we leave. Nancy and I hope to get down to southern AZ in April sometime. It would be nice to meet you and John. We've already had the pleasure of meeting Dirk. When we know our plans I'll let you guys know and I hope we can meet up. Chuck PICTURES, PICTURES!!!
chuck n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2013, 11:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Welcome to the running thread corp as well!
Pics... Get a freebie act at Photobucket or the photo hosting site of your choice, upload your pics there, post link here. Then you can learn to embed them...

On my old layout I had too many rocks, now I don't think I have enough! I find mine at the end of a 4 X 4 road....

Good to see ... will be good to see ....your growing Empire too.

John

Old 03-16-2013, 08:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

Haven't been down in the Tucson area in years....heading out this morning to Adobe RR park to the swap meet, but I understand the limits of a Sun City patio railroad. Good for testing, honing track laying skills and keeping out of the way of hummingbirds. I'm going to start on a back yard project this summer in Flagstaff (about 60x120 feet), but the area is already fully landscaped, so it has to be elevated and has to be gardener friendly....sigh.
FlagstaffLGB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2013, 08:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
Seņor Member

Where in So Az? I get out to Tucson, and definitely am looking up Dirk when I get there.

Greg

Click here for Greg's web site

Note: Due to the history of acrimony from some members, I might stop responding in a thread, so feel free to ask me questions via email (not private messages).

PLEASE NOTE: I have disabled Private Messaging, please use regular email: greg@elmassian.com
Greg Elmassian is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2013, 11:24 AM   #6 (permalink)

Good morning Alan, glad your here!!!!! THX!

I use ''Flicker'' to host My pix - then send 'em here for y'all to inspect!! Your choice like John said...

Let's see now Greg, John is west of me about 40 minutes or so, me thinks? Just outside of Tucson..
Alan is down below in Sierra Vista way, watching the snow melt off the mountains, an hour plus from Me..

A growing LS community right here is Very Sunny today AZ!!

Hoping to glue a final stretch of ballast AND lay,..... a 'token' RAIL today just fer fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have fun guys!! Dirk
SD90WLMT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2013, 02:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Seņor Member

Ahh did not know John was even closer! Could be a fun "field trip"!

Click here for Greg's web site

Note: Due to the history of acrimony from some members, I might stop responding in a thread, so feel free to ask me questions via email (not private messages).

PLEASE NOTE: I have disabled Private Messaging, please use regular email: greg@elmassian.com
Greg Elmassian is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2013, 02:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

all day - or - a day or 2!!!

at least..............

D
SD90WLMT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2013, 03:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

Ed, I was out at the Adobe Mt. Swap meet this morning. I bought a windmill from Stan and had a great time running my Aristo Mallet with the adult beverage cars. Too bad we didn't make contact. Cheers, Chuck
chuck n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2013, 09:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

Backyard before construction starts Also first try at adding photos :-)
fyrekop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.