G Scale Model Train Forum banner

WORKING ON NR&WGRR

160K views 846 replies 52 participants last post by  John J 
#1 ·
Having arrived safely home from Marty's, I had a great time, I arrived inspired. So I started working on my Layout

I have a bridge that had a little kink in the rails approaching it. It was a problem for my USAT articulated container cars and also my Aristo Streamliner cars.

So I moved the bridge so it is more inline with the tracks approaching it. I there for had to re do some road bed. Since I have concrete road bed we all know what a chore it is to change anything.

Well not this time

Here is was I did.

Took me about 2 hours to dig the trench. I set the forms, Today I poured the concrete.

I decided to add to my layout. This area will be a industrial park. It will be where I am going to put one of the car barns I made.

The are building swimming pools in the development south of me. They are desperate to have some place to put the dirt. So The guy is giving the dirt away if you will let him dump it on your property.

There are 15 loads at 12 tons each.

I climbed to the top of this pile to take the next two pictures

See less See more
#614 ·
Don't worry Cliffy, you'll burn your fingers way before the garage!
Don't skimp on a good helmet, your eyes will thank you.
John

#615 ·
Cliffy I went down to Home Depot and bought a welder. I had no Idea what I was doing. I just started to build bridges. I learned quickly about Temperature warping my work. I got a lot of help from Denray aka Dennis Rayon. The home Depot one is basic. Not much control. I then bought a Plasma Cutter by Longevity. I also bought a mig welder with gas. That is a great welder. It alone improved my welds by 70 % .

It all depends on how much you are willing to take chances and try something new.
Take a Course at a JR Collage. They have all kinds of Classes for this stuff.

JJ

#619 ·
GeeeZ .. thats bad...
Had a goodly down pour all nite.... still drippy..
.. cloudy n cool down South JJ..
Road washing.. walk washing .. rock n dirt washing..
.. 3/4" of rain..over 1" just this month.. yep.. 4 days worth so far. .

Throw a log on that fire...

@@

#624 ·
I was out early this morning and late this evening. Cleaning off the work bench getting read to work on some of the projects in progress and contemplating another
The whether has been real nice in the mornings and late evenings. The warmth feels good on my bones.

JJ

#625 ·
The NR&W crew put a new top on the train work table in the house. It was supposed to be a sheet of Ply Wood and a sheet of that Particle Board covered with the white stuff. Well when the crew got some from **** Deepot the particle board got wedged between the two sides of the pickup bed because of the spray in bed liner. The
chief engineer ( Guess who that is) broke the Particle board length wise trying to get it out of the truck bed. So the new top for the work table is now only a single sheet of Pine Covered Plywood. It seems to be OK

JJ

#626 ·
The crew worked on the back hoe to get it running. We put a new battery in the thing. Seems the auto part of the battery charge failed and cooked the old battery:( I brought it around to the work pad Need to do some things Check Fluids adjust brakes. This beast has totally mechanical brakes. All Linkage no fluid what so ever. Talk about getting up and standing on the brakes to stop it.

#627 ·
Days are getting shorter. Sun is setting earlier and temps are dropping. Getting ready to start working on the layout. I have been doing some Welding on the construction crane early in the morning alike 2 am. I have to figure out the motor drives for the crane. The hardest one is the rotation. My Camera does not do dark well. So Pictures are delayed.

#632 ·
I am outside Louisville KY I visited some relatives I have not seen since Highschool.
I am on my way to visit a friend I knew in the Air Force. who is near Knoxville TN
The Bridge is traveling well Tied down in the back of he Pick up. Got 4 tank cars to add to the Roster.

JJ

#636 ·
Glad to know you are safe and sound.
I was hoping you'd drop that bridge off as you passed by, but ....
John

#637 ·
S'pose ta drop "hints" ahead of time... so JJ would have more reason to travel the I-10 corridor. .. stopping to visit all his train buds on the way....

I tried.. gave him a snow alert.... thin he went on 40 up North tho.. against my reccomendations.

SD - LOL.... try to get him ta come back TW...

#638 ·
I didn't wanna sound greedy.....
Aw he only comes down this away to play in ink and stay at seedy motels....

Sorry about the driftin thread
John

#639 ·
Should have thought about putting in bid for any "spare" bridges you were bringing back from Marty's. Ended up buying one from Bridge Masters. Trestles still going up but should be done in time for Chuck's arrival in AZ next Feb. Day trip East to Sierra Vista or Dragoon anyone?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.