G Scale Model Train Forum banner

WORKING ON NR&WGRR

160K views 846 replies 52 participants last post by  John J 
#1 ·
Having arrived safely home from Marty's, I had a great time, I arrived inspired. So I started working on my Layout

I have a bridge that had a little kink in the rails approaching it. It was a problem for my USAT articulated container cars and also my Aristo Streamliner cars.

So I moved the bridge so it is more inline with the tracks approaching it. I there for had to re do some road bed. Since I have concrete road bed we all know what a chore it is to change anything.

Well not this time

Here is was I did.

Took me about 2 hours to dig the trench. I set the forms, Today I poured the concrete.

I decided to add to my layout. This area will be a industrial park. It will be where I am going to put one of the car barns I made.

The are building swimming pools in the development south of me. They are desperate to have some place to put the dirt. So The guy is giving the dirt away if you will let him dump it on your property.

There are 15 loads at 12 tons each.

I climbed to the top of this pile to take the next two pictures

See less See more
#5 ·
Posted By Dick413 on 11 Oct 2013 07:24 PM
JJ tell that driver I'll take all he has if he wants to drive to ma.
Dick
The driver told me that we can't be moving dirt masses that far away....it will cause a Imbalance in the earths rotation and cause it to fly off it's orbit and sail off into space.
i

#10 ·
Wow.. John J. You really got into changing and moving things around in the layout, big time....

To bad you are so far away for a 1hr. dr. I could bring my Bobcat and Truck down to help you.... Soon after a few more days of getting our Grand Dtr. to get the rest of our Pine Needles up. LoL.

I bet we could get at least 1 lb. of dirt move for ya in two days.

Ok just kidding around with ya, but boy... got to hand it to you, you have one big big project now.

#14 ·
JJ, great views and progress here..

Do you have a pic of the kink at the bridge? Wanted to see a comparison....

Also, while it is a bit hard to see... it does look like you are not faced with all the wild grass that I have here in the mountains....! I could open a feed lot, but only have one crop a year !! Ha!!...

Keep going buddy! Later Dirk

#16 ·
Posted By CliffyJ on 14 Oct 2013 02:18 PM
Looking great JJ!
Looks like you used something like bender board for your forms (vs. the metal forms)?

The steel forms are 20 ft curves.....The straight sections are 10 ft long

This was a short pour and I did not want to cut the steel to match.

JJ

#17 ·
Posted By SD90WLMT on 14 Oct 2013 09:10 PM
JJ, great views and progress here..

Do you have a pic of the kink at the bridge? Wanted to see a comparison....

Also, while it is a bit hard to see... it does look like you are not faced with all the wild grass that I have here in the mountains....! I could open a feed lot, but only have one crop a year !! Ha!!...

Keep going buddy! Later Dirk
I have not altered the track. I will try and get a pic of the kink. I will also take a pic of the bridge in it's original position.

JJ

#18 ·
There were some questions on what mod I just did for a bridge and a kink in the road ....

This is what I used for the forms. It is a valid Home Depot number

here are some pics to show why I did the change.

The curve illustrated by the Piece of track was a lot sharper.

Yes I know the surface looks un smooth....

It is a lot of crap from the form removal...

You can see the piece of track where the bridge was originally and the original road bed where the mason hammer is.

The black bridge was a gift from Mark Johnson. That is where it is going to be. And there will be a spur line leading up to it.

#19 ·
Thank you JJ.... I can see how it was before now, and can understand why it would have been a tight spot for your trains.

Your additon..mmm correction , will be a great improvement.
The new siding filling in the old lines spot can run a smaller curve and not have the same problem.

Looks great..keep going!

I popped my knee today, with a 'loud' noise...so will stay away from my project for awhile it looks...

Dirk

#21 ·
Well Yesterday ( Friday) I dumped dirt on the addition and leveled it out with the front end loader. Then I drove the Back Hoe back and forth in order to compact the dirt.

I worked on the bridge mod and found out I created a low spot just in front of the bridge. I will need to fill that in with some stucco.

Today I hope to spend on track on the whole layout. My Nephew is coming Thursday and wants to run trains.

So I have to send a MOW crew out and check all the track.

JJ

#24 ·
Posted By John J on 20 Oct 2013 04:44 AM
I have pictures to post but for some reason I can not get to my FIRST CLASS WEB SPACE to upload them so I can post them

JJ
Have you tried using the Insert Image feature in the Rich-text/HTML editor
? Since access via the old style Gold/1st Class user interface isn't currently available. You can upload, view, delete, and manage your image files using that feature. See the MLS FAQ[/b].

#25 ·
Posted By John J on 20 Oct 2013 04:44 AM
I have pictures to post but for some reason I can not get to my FIRST CLASS WEB SPACE to upload them so I can post them

JJ

Me too...same issue. But, I'm loving what I'm seeing you doing. Are you also putting water on the dirt to help it compact?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.