Buying a used 1/2" Scale Coal Fired Pacific and Tender? - Page 2 - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2009, 05:29 PM   #11 (permalink)

Default RE: Buying a used 1/2" Scale Coal Fired Pacific and Tender?

Posted By therbert on 19 Oct 2009 02:52 PM
Everything tacfoley said is absolutely true, except that 3/4" scale runs on 3 1/2" gauge track. 1" scale equiipment runs on 4 3/4" or 5" depending on where in the world you happen to be.

3/4" scale is also enjoying a resurgence here in the US. My new elevated railway that is starting construction at the end of the month will have a 3 1/2" gauge loop on it, as well as two Gauge 1 tracks. But, as he says, it is a builder's scale -- it's unlikely that you would find any ready-to-run models, unless they are just like what you're looking at now, something that was built years ago, that is just coming back into the light of day. Also Kozo Hiraoka's books are producing some fine locos -- two different Shays, a Heisler, a Climax and a Pennsy A4 0-4-0 switcher.

You can look at http://www.friendsmodels.com/ to see what's becoming available in this scale, and another site that will give you a feel for what is going on is http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist . There's a lot of discussion about this scale there.

A great source of knowledge about the larger scale live steam engines is going to be your local Live Steam club, if you have one.

Doh.

I hold up my paw to this one.

It's been a loooooooong day paiinting six doors, two coats, both sides, and I'm tired. That's MY excuse. If there was a 'delete' button I'd use it, prolly on myself, the way I feel right now.

Of course, none of you guys have ever made a mistake, right?

tac
www.ovgrs.org
tacfoley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2009, 06:45 PM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Jerry McColgan

Posted By tacfoley on 19 Oct 2009 01:15 PM
Jerry, buying an old loco like this is like buying a horse without ever having seen a horse before.

Hi Cousin,

Perfect analogy.

I once bought a couple of quarter horses never having ridden one and I soon discovered that the were a lot smarter than I was. They were better at knocking me off their backs than I was at staying on.

I soon learned far more about horses than I ever dreamed or wanted to. I don't know what horse meat tastes like but I was tempted to find out.

They arrived when my daughters grades went up and they departed when her grades went down.

Jerry
Jerry McColgan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2009, 07:57 PM   #13 (permalink)

Jerry how about a 1 inch scale loco gage 4 1/2 inches and it is coal fired also. Engine, Caboose track and some extra truck $3000.00. All hand built 4-4-2 Later RJD
Old 10-20-2009, 10:15 AM   #14 (permalink)

Posted By aceinspp on 19 Oct 2009 06:57 PM
Jerry how about a 1 inch scale loco gage 4 1/2 inches and it is coal fired also. Engine, Caboose track and some extra truck $3000.00. All hand built 4-4-2 Later RJD
My wife would probably kill me (or make me remodel her ****** kitchen) but go ahead and tell me about it.

Hanging around you guys is like dropping into a bar at Happy Hour to ask for directions to church.

Jerry
Old 10-20-2009, 11:15 AM   #15 (permalink)

Not much more to add. It was last run about 5 years ago and he made the loco and caboose, Had one heck of a shop.Has a couple extra pair of trucks so one could build some cars. Also some Aluminum track goes with it. The train is located about 6 miles from where I live. So its probably come get it thing.

If your interested I can provide you with the persons name and number. Later RJD
Old 10-20-2009, 12:00 PM   #16 (permalink)

It is probably a great deal but I am on the downside of having decided against the Pacific and realizing that I would probably not have the energy or enthusiasm to pursue another gauge layout to fund and build.

My wife is planning to retire in 1 1/2 years so our spending has to be adjusted to be out of debt by then. The Pacific caught my attention because it was only about 30 miles away. I think I had better pass on it.

Thanks,

Jerry
Old 10-20-2009, 07:14 PM   #17 (permalink)

Ok Jerry you posted about being interested so now you just change your mind. Why ask the question other than for others, Maybe info to what the price should be. Maybe trying to give the gal an Idea what price it should be. Strange. Later RJD
Old 10-20-2009, 09:25 PM   #18 (permalink)

Posted By aceinspp on 20 Oct 2009 06:14 PM
Ok Jerry you posted about being interested so now you just change your mind. Why ask the question other than for others, Maybe info to what the price should be. Maybe trying to give the gal an Idea what price it should be. Strange. Later RJD

Not so strange. I was curious rather than interested.

I had already phoned her and ended the discussion about the Pacific. The Pacific was old but virtually unused. The Northern looked to be in great shape. Both were clean looking and seemed to show little wear and tear.

The 4-4-2 wheel arrangement is of less interest to me and with my size would probably be less suitable for me plus it showed evidence of a lot of wear and tear and not having been cleaned up the last time it was run. I also have no idea where it is located but moving it would probably be a major additional expense.

It just did not appeal to me and the whole concept of a ride on live steamer is not something I have a strong interest in but that does not keep me from being curious.

Rather than pursue it further and waste your time and that of the owner I simply expressed a lack of interest.

I did not ask if anyone knew of any other live steamers or say that I wanted to buy one but rather I was responding to a suggestion you made to look at the 4-4-2. I am curious about many things but I only buy a tiny percentage of what I look at. I don't understand why you seem upset about it.

Jerry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.