Contemplating Live Steam - Page 12 - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2017, 06:27 AM   #111 (permalink)

Welcome aboard Mike Flea! All of the advice that you have received from the forum members is first class stuff. By the way, the term "stuff" is an archaic steam engineering definition from very old Machinery Handbooks from the late 1890's. Stuff is defined as steam that has lost all it's thermal energy, but that is still visible. Think WWII film noir railway stations, probably in foreign films, such as featuring Bogy and such.
As I remember, you have a potential 4' radius as your "controlling radius". This alone will determine which small scale live steamer you can "afford". It is the mechanics of your pike that that limit your buying decisions, not the depth of your wallet.
I, myself own a portable I" gauge layout that I bought from Michael O'Roark that has a 1' foot controlling radius that well handles an all up, but regauged, "Ruby" live steamer and a couple of Michel's custom built goods wagons. It will also accommodate a couple of the Regner 0-4-0's that are regaugeable to the German narrow gauge that about duplicates 1" American gauge. I displayed this layout at the Summer Stamp in 2013, maybe 2012.
My first live steamer is an Aster Frank S. 0-6-0 purchased new in 1994 for USD$999.95 plus shipping, from Trainworld in Brooklyn, NY. The locomotives that have been recommended to you are in todays dollars less expensive. This is in no small part due to the pioneering efforts of brothers Charlie and Bing and the whole Accucraft organization. They did put the price pressure on the existing live steam model manufactures and thus created the aggressive pricing that we model engineers enjoy today.
As you have been advised by my peers in the hobby: it is addictive. The restrictions of a 4' controlling can easily lead to visits to estate brokers! In my case I determined that I had enough square feet in my Japanese back garden to build a 33' by 35' elevated, double loop, 45mm pike with sufficient steamup area. The original facility was commissioned in1997. It was rebuilt in 2015. The failure mechanism was the sun's UV, and other rays, attacking the cast-in plastic spike heads. These failed over the 18 years use, and I did gain some useful time by selectivy hand spiking the failed rails. Nothing lasts forever!
In my experience the happiest budget live steam modelers are the ones who own a couple [that's two] personal favorite locomotives/consists, but no railroads. But, they do belong to a local steam club that hosts steamups during the "season". It may not be the whole enchilada, but it is the most economical way to go.
Forget the sparky layouts as most are on the ground and our steam oil ruins the electrical conductivity of their power pickups.
Mike, if you wish to go live, you can e-mail me at ekevin95814@sbcglobal.net Unfriendlys be advised that I employ electronic countermeasures.
Semper Paratus
Two Blocked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2017, 09:48 PM   #112 (permalink)

Thanks for the info Kevin, but I assure you, sticking to a budget is in my best interest for keeping peace in the house, lol
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.