Aster gas tank regulator valve - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2017, 01:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
1st Class Member

Default Aster gas tank regulator valve

This is an old problem with a need for a new solution provider......As some of you may know the Aster gas tank valves were largely a full on and full off type of valve. I asked Norm Saley way back when to produce a more gradual angled gas valve to release the gas in a likewise manner. This valve enabled me to fire my engines a bit more easily than the ¨stand by and watch the hair come off my hand" firing method.

So, I have one of these valves on my Aster Greenbrier Shay but I need a few more for other gas fired Aster engines I reacquired (really need to stop doing that..). So, can some machinist out there please assist me in reproducing some of these? I can send the one I have to make it a bit easier to reproduce.

Yes, I have tried the usual folks. Norm has stopped making much and Jim does not seem to respond to email much either...I suppose in my retirement, I will need to learn how to do this myself....but until them...help, please...

Thank you,
Sam
boilingwater is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2017, 02:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

When I recently had my South Bend in pieces to scrape the cross slide - I successfully slowed the taper on a couple of gas valve trims with a pillar drill and a fine file - then finished with 320 and 1000 emery.

John
John 842 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2017, 03:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Sam,
"Yes, I have tried the usual folks. Norm has stopped making much and Jim does not seem to respond to email much either...I suppose in my retirement, I will need to learn how to do this myself....but until them...help, please..."

Hmm....seems to me I know someone that makes parts:

Custom parts

Happy Trails on the Rails
Offering services to enhance your steam locomotive
Charles
SA #614

[b]Triple R Services
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2017, 04:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
1st Class Member

Charles,
Do you have the valves or do you need me to send mine? I know you guys are super busy so I wasnt sure it was a viable option. Please let me know and cost to produce via my email.

Thanks,
Sam
Old 02-11-2017, 04:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

Sam
Sent a offline PM to you.

Happy Trails on the Rails
Offering services to enhance your steam locomotive
Charles
SA #614

[b]Triple R Services
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2017, 04:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Sam I have been making housings for my fine taper spindles. Can do a threaded or solder in housing. Outlet is usually a soldered pipe that I use. Can have a knob or wire handle. Here is a brake post tand I recently made
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rps20170211_162801_777_1486848491218.jpg (103.5 KB, 146 views)
Kovacjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2017, 07:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
1st Class Member

Jason--nice work. Thanks for the responses. I know there is perhaps not the demand for this part these days but anyone who has an Aster gas fired engine should look into getting that valve replaced along with the gas inlet value. TRS does supply those.

Sam
Old 02-12-2017, 04:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

On my Aster S2/6 changed out the gas valve with a roundhouse gas valve works great.
waynesal46 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2017, 07:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

i thought the aster s2 was alchohol fired
Old 02-12-2017, 08:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
1st Class Member

Nate,You are right

Specifications for Aster's Great Northern S2

Scale/Gauge: 1/32, Gauge One (45mm) Weight: 10.4 kg - Locomotive 7.5 kg + Tender 2.9 kg (23 lbs) Length: 981 mm (38.62 inches) Width: 106 mm (4.17 inches) Height: 156.5 mm (6.16 inches) Cylinders: 2 x cylinders with functional drain valves cylinder bore 15 mm / piston stroke 23 mm Wheels Drivers: dia. 61 mm Pilot: dia. 28 mm Trailing Truck: dia. 35 mm Valve Gear: Walschaerts type Lubricator Roscoe displacement type Feed Water Pump: Axle driven piston type, bore 5 mm / stroke 10 mm Boiler: C-type with 5 smoke tubes 1 x 12.72 mm; 4 x 9.53 mm, Super heater pipe Water Capacity:
670 ml @ 80% full Working Pressure: 3.5 bar Burner: Tube type – alcohol Tender Fuel Tank capacity: 580 ml Tender Water Tank capacity: 925 ml Tender hand pump: Bore 11 mm / stroke 12 mm Tender Truck Wheels: 29 mm Operating devices: Regulator valve, blower valve, forward / reverse handle, boiler / water glass blow down valve, by pass valve, whistle valve, water level gauge, pressure gauge, 2 x safety valves, functional cylinder drain valves, tender water tank drain plug, and electric headlight. Fuel: Methyl alcohol Fuel Capaciity: 580 cc Minimum Radius: 3 meter (9.86 feet)
Prototype Information

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.