NGRC 2015: Layout photos from #1 to #52 - Page 2 - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2015, 12:33 PM   #11 (permalink)

Todd, what do you mean "Be sure you get to Sac."? I live in the Sacramento area. My layout will be open next year as part of the NGRC 2016 post tour. I also hope to visit and photograph many of the layouts during the week in the Bay Area. I don't know about ALL though, since we'll be open right afterwards! But we'll see.

Here are my photos of Day 3 (Thursday). I'll continue to progress and upload photos as quickly as I can, hopefully finishing up this weekend. Enjoy.

Layout #21: Tom's Train World
This railroad line wraps around a large beautiful home. My photo coverage here isn't very good because I was distracted talking to people, but I was attracted to some cool rocks (anyone know what kind they are?).
See all the photos on Flickr.

Layout #22: Fort Walt Railroad
This railroad contains the only LEGO train in a garden that I've seen, but that's just one of the many things to look at. My kids loved how you could walk everywhere, gaining unique vantage points, or just follow the ATSF passenger train around the perimeter. The owners' dogs were friendly and fun for the kids too.

Layout #23: San Miguel Southern Railway
This extensive railroad covers a hillside, with just about everything: well placed structures and dioramas, lots colorful plants, natural stone, and lots of track and trains. I also liked the storage shed attached to the house--I'd like to build something like this!

Layout #24: Palmer Lake, Greenland, and Larkspur
As the only railroad one with a "train" to ride, it led my 5-year old to comment at every subsequent railroad: "maybe they'll have something to ride!" There were also lots of nice scratch-built structures and bridges, and interesting things to look at everywhere. And the views from this large property were incredible!

Layout #25: Cancelled

Layout #26: Cat Mountain Railroad
This was one of the best small railroads I've seen. It had everything a garden railway needs, and there wasn't too much or too little of anything. It was a fun one to photograph! Also railroads with Shell gas stations or tank cars get bonus points (it's my last name).

Layout #27: Colorado & Northern Pass Railroad
Wrapping around the yard, this railroad had action in every direction. And with lots to look at it seem to keep everyone's attention. And I love always to see mainline passenger trains.

Layout #28: Western Welcome Railway
This was a small railroad, at least compared to the yard, with three trains on separate loops. It appeared to be a newer railroad, but with many nice plantings and a few well-placed structures.

Layout #29: Rosebud Railway
There's nothing quite like this one. It's definitely not my style, but there's something for everyone. It certainly had the most action of any railroad we saw, and it was the only one with a train on the roof of the garage!
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2015, 01:32 PM   #12 (permalink)

My mistake. Bay area.
toddalin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2015, 06:38 AM   #13 (permalink)

these are great

thanks for sharing

Old 07-25-2015, 09:01 AM   #14 (permalink)
1st Class Member

Thumbs up

Great images, Ben... There are some absolutely wonderful layouts featured this year.....

Thanks for sharing..
Stan Cedarleaf is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2015, 11:07 AM   #15 (permalink)

Ben,
I was there and enjoyed the great layouts around Denver. Thank you for sharing the photos. They are like ARTWORK as are the layouts themselves. THANK YOU!
Ted Yarbrough is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2015, 11:07 AM   #16 (permalink)

Well I was going to post my photos which seem a chaotic mess compared to your pro presentation. So now I can relax and enjoy the (your) show!

Jerry
Naptowneng is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2015, 09:08 PM   #17 (permalink)

Thanks JKS, Stan, Ted, and Jerry!

Jerry, I'd encourage you to go ahead and post your photos too. I'm sure you caught things I didn't. My photos just look the way they do because I know a few tricks for editing them using Adobe Lightroom. Even though I'm using a nice camera many of these don't look as good without editing. On an overcast day they may look dull, and on a sunny day the harsh shadows make everything hard to see without Lightroom's magical "Highlights" and "Shadows" adjustments features.

Here are the layouts from Day 4 (Friday):

Layout #30: Paulette & Bob's World RR (P&BW RR)
I was tempted to skip this one because it was far from all the others, but I'm really glad we went! It's a beautiful railroad, in a peaceful setting. My wife and I both especially liked the stone arch bridge.

Layout #31: DB Railroad of Germany
While I prefer American trains, that isn't going to stop me from naming this one of my favorites of the week! Everything just looked great, with well balanced plants, structures, and an interesting track plan. It also helps that clouds came back, so my photos turned out better than at other stops of the days.

Layout #32: D&J Shortline
This was a nice little railroad with a lot of drama in a small space. What's not shown in my photos is that the yard was much bigger than the railroad (future expansion?).

Layout #33: Colorado & Sparktown Railroad
This was basically two or three railroads in one backyard, with a distinctly different feel from one side to the other. Everything looked great, and "Sparktown" is the best large scale city scene ever!

Layout #34: Gold Dust & Red Rocks Railroad
This is a large railroad with an impressive trestle, as well as lots of other bridges, structures, and trains. And the "Hyde Park Tunnel" was a clever pun, as it takes trains into the basement for storage.

Layout #35: Drunkardville & Pacific Railway
From Mount Brewmore to Mount Drinkmore, this railroad was either appropriately named, or appropriately built! The more finished portions looked good, but the odd gaps in the track and roadbed left much to be explained! The only thing out of place is that right under the sign "Welcome to Drunkardville: No Public Sobriety" the bottle of Captain Morgan appears to be unopened!

Layout #36: Petrified Progress Railway
As evident by only six photos (and not particularly good ones), I didn't get a chance to visit this railroad very long. My kids were misbehaving so my wife and I took turns running in to see it--unfortunately at the same time as the bus. But it was a nice little layout, with a particularly clever name.

Layout #37: The Columbine Loop Railroad
My photos don't show this railroad as I remember it, with a lot of different levels and pathways to walk around. There are lots of details and well-established plants too.

Layout #38: The Curmudgeon & Saint Anita
I wish I could have stayed longer here to enjoy the MTH Big Boy with passenger train, but with such a tight schedule we only had a few minutes and for much of that time the train was stopped.

Layout #39: The Continental Railroad
This railroad was spread across the hillside of a large backyard in a very nice neighborhood. There was plenty of action with three trains in the backyard, and a small front yard railroad too! The tour book mentioned a USA Trains Big Boy, however it was under a glass case on a table, with a GG-1 there too. (Apparently I'm the only one crazy enough to run my USA Trains Big Boy for open houses--I've been to hundreds of garden railroads and only ever seen them on display!)

Only one day of layouts left! And then I'll share what few pictures I have of the vendor hall. I was too busy talking to people and really dropped the ball on photography here.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:36 PM   #18 (permalink)

Hi everyone,

Here are my photos from the last day of railroad tours. With a total of 1074 photos uploaded, it was more of a project than I realized to go through all these, make minor edits in Lightroom, tag them by railroad name and number, and write brief descriptions too. But I hope you guys have enjoyed it, and I know I will enjoy having our memories documented so thoroughly.

Now that everything is uploaded, I've also put them all into a single album so you can view the entire tour as a slideshow on Flickr:

View the entire tour (1074 photos).

Day 5 (Saturday):

Layout #40: Silverton Northern Railway
This was a beautiful rustic railroad in a beautiful remote area. (It was on a long dirt road, steep in some places!) There were lots of impressive scratchbuilt structures and even the trains themselves fit the theme with heavy weathering and kitbashing.

Layout #41: Prospect Mountain System
This was one the most unique railroads we've ever seen, with along a fence, and up an insane grade to an upper deck! There were also O-gauge trains, mostly whimsical in design. One nice detail my wife pointed out was plywood cutouts of mountains on the fence. The host families were incredibly hospitable, and even let my 5-year-old run one of the trains. Unfortunately I don't think they had many visitors because it was in Estes Park, more than an hour away from other layouts!

Layout #42: Blackbird & Dogfish Railroad
While walking in, another attendee commented to us that this railroad has EVERYTHING! They were right: everything, and more! My kids loved the numerous dinosaurs and various surprising finds on this whimsical European themed railroad.

Layout #43: D&RGW, Ridgeview Division
I really enjoyed this layout which reminds me of a 4x8 HO scale layout... except much bigger with a nice spacious feeling. They were running some nice trains too (I like ALL trains, but admit to a bias for mainline 1:29th scale!).

Layout #44: Clark Street Station
I ended up taking more photos here than at any other railroad--there was just so much to see! My wife said it was her favorite because of the castle and some of the creative scenes, like a baseball game, an outdoor amphitheater, and rock climbers. My kids loved it for Thomas, of course. The whole railroad was just spectacular.

Layout #45: The White Mountain and Pacific Railroad
I would vote this railroad "most fun to watch" with the whole thing going in and out of tunnels in a huge mountain range! And there were automated train operations to add to the excitement. I probably should have take a video instead of stills, but at this point in the day we were extremely rushed and not sure if we'd make it to the last few.

Layout #46: The Great Southern and Western Railway
This was a large railroad with long runs with some unique details (e.g. chess players in front of a station) and well weathered rolling stock. I also particularly liked how some tree stumps were used in the landscaping (I asked, and they were actually brought in).

Layout #47: Flat Rock Railroad
This railroad felt like it had a lot of depth, with a very dynamic feel to it. The bridges, trestles, structures, and multiple trains added to the effect, as did the lack of a clear railroad boundary. I liked how the stream extended under the pathway and into some bushes beyond the railroad.

Layout #48: The Gardens on Spring Creek
It's nice to see garden railroads in public venues like this botanical garden, however it was disappointing that trains weren't running and there wasn't anyone around. Still, the layout looks good and it is probably fun for the kids to operate with push at times when it's open.

Layout #49: The Snowflake Resort and Railway
This was the last layout of the tour for us, and it was a great one to end on. The kids were able to run around a little and enjoy the numerous fun details in this unique Florida themed layout, and my wife and I were able to relax for a few minutes and not feel the pressure of getting to the next one.

Layout #50: Red Cliff, Denver and Rio Grande RR
One of the unique aspects of this beautiful railroad was a storage shed that's raised and freestanding behind the railroad, but decorated to look like a large hotel, and aligned so that it's a great backdrop. Be sure to look at some of my other pictures of this one.

Layout #51: Timber Lane Farm Museum
This wasn't quite what we expected from a museum layout, but we were glad it was small and there wasn't anything else open at the museum because we were running late! But this could be a great introduction to garden railroading if museum visitors get to see it running (the pile of boxes behind wasn't very reassuring).

Layout #52: BD&G RR
This railroad was a bit of a drive, but well worth it. It's a great looking railroad wrapping around the back of the house and into a storage room. The owners were friendly and funny too.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:23 PM   #19 (permalink)

Very nice. Thanks again for sharing. I almost feel like I went and saw them for myself.
toddalin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2015, 09:42 AM   #20 (permalink)

I know I said it earlier, but thanks Ben for taking the time to put this together for us. I enjoyed the photos.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.