Bearing wheels. Opinions ,Experience? - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2017, 08:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Bearing wheels. Opinions ,Experience?

My wall train project will have 6 foot diameter turns, still that's tighter than what most consider desirable. I was wondering if bearing wheel would ease the load on the engine when pull stock through the curves? Worthwhile investment?
OldNoob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2017, 09:35 AM   #2 (permalink)

Ball bearing wheel sets with the wheels turning independently will definitely help, but get pricey.

Available from LGB, Piko, Train-LI
Treeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2017, 11:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

OldNoob;

I have used the LGB ball bearing wheel sets on a four car passenger train pulled by an Atisto/Delton "Bumble Bee" C16 2-8-0. The locomotive was overheating before the wheels were installed, and now pulls its train without any heat problems. As Mike noted, they are expensive. If you will not be using a lot of rolling stock in that bonus room, they may just be worth the extra cost. The LGB ball bearing wheel sets also have electrical contacts, so wiring up lights for cabooses and passenger cars is pretty straightforward.

Just my $0.02,
David Meashey
Dave Meashey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2017, 11:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNoob View Post
My wall train project will have 6 foot diameter turns, still that's tighter than what most consider desirable. I was wondering if bearing wheel would ease the load on the engine when pull stock through the curves? Worthwhile investment?
I have a bunch of Roll-EZ wheels if you're interested. shaft is independent of each wheel. Each wheel has a ball bearing. There's some wear, originally chrome. some of them are painted brown. PM me if you're interested.

FWIW I did find the ball bearing wheels rolled better than stock plastic, but not as well as the friction-bearing wheelsets from USAT and Kadee (once appropriate white lithium grease was applied). I have wide turns, so I don't need the "differential" the independent bearing wheels give you.

I think I got 12 axles for $200. They're always on sale on EBay.
rexcadral is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2017, 12:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for all the help and sugestions, i didn't realize there were more than one option out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcadral View Post

FWIW I did find the ball bearing wheels rolled better than stock plastic, but not as well as the friction-bearing wheelsets from USAT and Kadee (once appropriate white lithium grease was applied). I have wide turns, so I don't need the "differential" the independent bearing wheels give you.

Im learning something every day. in my copier repair days we often replaced Bronze bearings that were basically a softer bronze bushing in which the steel shaft rotated. Im guessing "friction bearings" are basically the same.

Last edited by OldNoob; 02-02-2017 at 12:48 PM.
OldNoob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2017, 01:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

If your up to a challenge I have found two article on how to install ball bearings in Bmann trucks. The articles includes a source for ball bearings. The company is still in business. At the time of the posting the price of one bearing was $0.35 inc postage,

If you are interested go to the Bachmann Trains Large Forum and search for, "Ball Bearings", and specify user: "veetwelve".

Bill
BillBrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2017, 03:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Seņor Member

Bill... your words seem to indicate bearings in trucks... does not help on curves as the op needs... you need the wheels turning indepentently of each other..

Greg

Click here for Greg's web site

Note: Due to the history of acrimony from some members, I might stop responding in a thread, so feel free to ask me questions via email (not private messages).

PLEASE NOTE: I have disabled Private Messaging, please use regular email: greg@elmassian.com
Greg Elmassian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2017, 04:20 AM   #8 (permalink)

I've found the Roll-EZ wheels to be very stiff, especially when they're cold. Not convinced there's actually less friction than well lubricated metal wheels. The LGB sets spin much more freely all the time, but are ~twice as expensive.
SophieB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2017, 11:01 AM   #9 (permalink)

I use Gary Raymond ball bearing wheels. LOTS of sizes available. Each wheel rotates by itself on the axle, so would help.

Last edited by Jerry Barnes; 02-19-2017 at 11:25 AM.
Jerry Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2017, 04:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I get bearings from these guys http://www.avidrc.com/ 3mmx6mm with a flange. I put them in Aristo Trucks. Makes a Huge Difference. Each wheel rolls independently They a buck each. ( $1.00) I have not found a Truck yet to put them in since the demise of Aristo. But I am telling you it makes a huge difference. Well worth the effort.

JJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.