Smoke fluid for Aristo? - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2017, 02:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Smoke fluid for Aristo?

Hi guys,
I'm servicing some trains for a friend that bought a small collection and one of the items is the Napa Valley Alco from Aristo. What is the best smoke fluid to use in these? I had some Magic Smoke for Dept. 56 buildings lying around so I tried that but it wasn't happy. Don't know if the smoke unit doesn't work right, it needs different fluid or if the units just plain sucked in these Alcos!

Steve

SA #8
pcentral is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2017, 01:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Seņor Member

So, is the fan running in the smoke unit? Some fans were wired backwards. Worth checking (kleenex tissue on top will show direction of air movement)

That is a pretty poor smoke unit in general, so do not expect a lot.

Greg 1,169

Click here for Greg's web site

Note: Due to the history of acrimony from some members, I might stop responding in a thread, so feel free to ask me questions via email (not private messages).

PLEASE NOTE: I have disabled Private Messaging, please use regular email: greg@elmassian.com
Greg Elmassian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2017, 01:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yes Greg, the fan is turning. It has the 3 position switch in the back of the cab on the rear door. I tried it in the 2 positions that operate the fan but only get faint wisps of smoke at best. I kind of suspected it was a poor design. Just didn't know if there was better fluid to use to make the smoke more visible.

Steve

SA #8

Old 05-31-2017, 09:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Seņor Member

Almost any fluid will do.

As I remember, I don't believe it has a regulator, have you put it up on rollers, and run it full tilt? You verified the fan is turning, but is it exhausting air from the stack? They often ran backwards. I'm repeating myself from post #2 but need to hear you verified air flow direction.

Greg 1,167

Note: Due to the history of acrimony from some members, I might stop responding in a thread, so feel free to ask me questions via email (not private messages).

PLEASE NOTE: I have disabled Private Messaging, please use regular email: greg@elmassian.com
Old 06-01-2017, 02:04 AM   #5 (permalink)

Yes, I verified the airflow was going the correct way. I haven't tried running it on rollers though. I will try that next and if no improvement I'll move on. This unit is going to be placed up for sale anyway so I'll just note the smoke unit does not work well. Thanks for the help Greg!

Steve

SA #8
Old 06-01-2017, 03:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
Seņor Member

There may be spares around for cheap (or free)... see what it does on close to 24 volts if you can.
Keep posting here, and I can probably look in the junk box this weekend..(that means help me remember please). I have a box full of misc. smoke units.

Greg

Old 06-01-2017, 07:14 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Pierce

The original Aristo F7A Alco smoke units were wired in series with the motor. On the rear of the engine was a 3 position switch which can shut off and reverse the fan motor power. I have this same engine (Napa Valley) and smoke can be poor. Heater unit just pulls straight up from the engine, fan is inside and tied to the smoke tray with a plastic tube that does get brittle and could fall off/disconnect from the tray which would greatly reduce the smoke output.
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2017, 09:01 AM   #8 (permalink)

Owning multiple units of the same engines, (FA1, C 16, Shay) I find significant differences in the performance of the smoke units in identical engines. Imagine.
And I ended up using Aristo brand smoke fluid as it seemed to work best from the small sample I tried

Jerry
Naptowneng is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2017, 08:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Seņor Member

The resistor/heater units were variable in resistance and construction quality, so that probably explains some of this.

The resistance part was not soldered to the connector part of the assembly, which made total resistance vary wildly.

Greg 1,163

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.