G Scale Model Train Forum banner

Loughbrau

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  cape cod Todd 
#1 ·
Loughbrau: (pronounced low-brow) is a very strong drink distilled by the trolls of Middle Earth. It is also called Trollish Punch, and is similar to the “Kickapoo Joy Juice” once brewed in the Li’l Abner cartoon strip.

I try to bring some new model train project to the East Coast Large Scale Train Show (ECLSTS) in York, PA almost every year. This year I thought the model would be Dori, my latest little live steam locomotive. The show is March 27 and 28, so there was not much time for anything else. Then I got an idea while swimming laps last Tuesday.

I finished the project this morning. It is another freight car for my fictional model railroad, the Brandywine & Gondor Railroad, set in the Fourth Age of J. R. R. Tolkein’s Middle Earth. I bought some basswood, paint, and glue for the project, but most of the elements of the car were already on hand.

The frames are from an old AristoCraft two-axle flat car. The coal bin is from a blister pack I saved because it had an interesting shape. I had converted the troll figure into a locomotive fireman, but then I found out that he was too big to fit into the cab of any of my locomotives. The bottles and bottle cases were purchased at the 2013 ECLSTS. The coal stove is an old Crystal Lite powder tin. The “fire” is the foil wrapping from a Lindt chocolate truffle Easter egg. The stove pipe is a drinking straw. The still and the receiver vessel are some sparkling wine bottle caps my daughter gave me. The cooling coil is some stripped copper bell wire that I wrapped around a ballpoint pen. The bases to the still assembly were cut from a piece of Styrofoam packing I had lying around.

The two signs proclaim: “Loughbrau Trollish Punch Packs the Strongest Punch in All of Middle Earth!” and “Loughbrau Trollish Punch Strong Enough to Roll a Troll!” I hope you enjoy the whimsy and humor of this latest project.

Regards,
David Meashey

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.