G Scale Model Train Forum banner

Proper cars to pull behind LGB 2085 SEG Mallet

15K views 33 replies 10 participants last post by  GreatHeart 
#1 ·
Most of LGB's engines had cars that came from the same railroad as the engine. I cannot really find anything else in the LGB line up thru the years that is for the Southeast German Railway where that big 0-6-6-0 mallet is from. I lack the very first LGB Telegram that had an article on that line and the Mallet. Espicaly passenger cars. Anybody have that first issue and can scan in the pages from that article? Mike

#28 · (Edited)
Mike, we have strayed somewhat from the topic...
Here is a mock-up in paint of what I will probably do to my LGB Barmer Mountain coaches so they look the part behind my LGB SEG Mallet or other German locos.
I intend to paint them a duller green than they currently are over the pin stripe detail. It would also be good to get rid of the 'curtains' but that would require redoing all the window sashes.
After looking at some German narrow gauge coaches I have noticed they sit lower than the LGB model.
The LGB coach below has Bachmann 24mm wheels on it. The couplers end up being 3mm lower but still just work. Filing the truck's coupler mount to rectify or some tinkering with the coupler itself will do. If I file the mount and want to put the original wheels back on later, adding spacers would put the couplers back to the correct height.
I like the smaller wheels which give it more of a narrow gauge look.

Todtnau Station with Mallet No.104

Similar coaches as above

DR coaches

Andrew

Attachments

#29 ·
Nice pics Andrew, I have struggled to find much info on that line other than what little is in the LGB catalogs. I havent been able to get a copy of the first issue of LGB Telegram, it covered that line and the Mallet. I am leaning that way but it depends on finding one and being able to either sell my one Mogul or trade it toward the Mallet. I think it, along with some green Barmer Mt coaches will look good for what I want to do, and I feel it will better handle my twisting line with R1 curves. Mike

#32 ·
Better late than never. Have you seen the 2023 release carriages LGB 30341 and LGB 30342. They are for the RhB but LGB 30341 doesn't seem to have any obvious RhB markings. The green may be very slightly different but the wood trim on the windows and the roof profile are spot on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.