G Scale Model Train Forum banner

Real Life LGB Trains

7K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  chuck n 
#1 ·
My wife and I spent a few weeks last month in Switzerland sightseeing by train.
We had first class railpasses and put them to extensive use.

We road on the Glacier Express, Bernina Express, Golden Pass Express, and the William Tell Express.
Besides the four main senic trains we also road on the Mt Pilatus Cog rail train in Lucerne and the Gornergrat train to the Matterhorn in Zermatt.

The Bernina Express was our favorite.

I was also pleasantly surprised to see many of the actual real engines and cars of LGB trains I own.
I saw my Unseco engine as well as the my Allegra pulling the KISS Bernina Express cars.
I also saw several of the RHB coaches and cars I have in my collection.

It was very cool to see them in operation and to see how fathlfully LGB and KISS reproduced them.

Here are some pics,

See less See more
#13 ·
wow bods, nice pics,

does in the incline have tilting seats for change grade???

i would hope that you now realize, that chuck's post was simply mis-placed, as there aren't any double buffers in any of your pics. probably for the sprung buffers thread below.

has happened to me too, its called an accident.

bit harsh dude.

#14 ·
Fantastic pictures of those comparable trains ! Enjoyed the vid too ! eye-poppin' :)

do you recall what they charge to ride the cog.. i guess i could surf for it and then translate the fare ;)

Thanks for taking the time to post some of your pics and vid.

doug c

#15 ·
The train doesn't have any tilting mechanism. It starts out at a very steep incline (look at the pics in the station) and pretty much maintains it throughout the trip. The train is built with a big stagger as there is no flat point on the entire line.

The tickets cost about $80 US roundtrip each, but are 50% off if you have a railpass, we paid about $80 for 2.

One nice thing is they give you the option of either taking the train back down, or taking the panoramic tram car down on the other side of the mountain.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.