LGB cancels production of four 2017 items - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2017, 02:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
krs

Default LGB cancels production of four 2017 items

Last Friday LGB announced that they are cancelling production of four new items from their 2017 New Item brochure because of the low number of pre-orders.

Affected is the DR snow plow and three US tank cars.
http://www.gbdb.info/details.php?image_id=8411

I mostly post this because I just received an email advertizing from Trainworld which still shows the three US tank cars as available and orderable.

Knut
krs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2017, 02:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Seņor Member

I gather the "pre-orders" are from dealers, not interest from consumers.

Greg

Click here for Greg's web site

Note: Due to the history of acrimony from some members, I might stop responding in a thread, so feel free to ask me questions via email (not private messages).

PLEASE NOTE: I have disabled Private Messaging, please use regular email: greg@elmassian.com
Greg Elmassian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2017, 09:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Let's face it, only the long modern tank cars are interesting enough for possible sales in a depressed market.
The Bachmann early era tank car is too similar and the plow is just a motor block with a pointy bit on each end.
Trainworld have never had issues taking people's money for items they don't have.

Andrew
Garratt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2017, 10:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
krs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Elmassian View Post
I gather the "pre-orders" are from dealers, not interest from consumers.

Greg
I gather there are several parts to that.

My LGB dealer always calls me a few weeks after the new items are announced to get me to order which I do.
He then also, in addition to all the potential demand his customers have, orders a little bit for shelf stock if he thinks the item will sell well.
And one can also pre-order items directly from Marklin but maybe only in Europe.
If dealers order before a certain date, usually the end of February, they get an additional discount.

Marklin really has focussed on transferring all the risk of new products to the dealers, they try to keep no stock or very little stock themselves.
There are actually a half dozen or so other 2017 items that are already sold out and production hasn't even begun yet.
That seems to be their business model - only produce what has already been sold.
If one pre-orders as a customer in Germany, one actually makes no real commitment.
For one there is no down-payment required
Also one can cancel the pre-order anytime

As to the cancelled items - the snow plow LGB had prviously, just without a built in decoder, so I can see that it might be hard to sell that
But the three tankers should have sold I would think.
Maybe they are too expensive compared to the competition.

Regards,
Knut
krs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2017, 09:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

I also think LGB customers are starting to take a wait and see approach to their new products since a) they usually arrive over one year after you've ordered anyway and b) quality has been up and down so horrendously you never know if the one you've ordered is going to be one of the problem ones or not so why take the chance.
The bean counters are going to drive them into the ground.
H&LA#1
SA2695
Cougar Rock Rail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2017, 10:25 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Toney

Thats the problem bean counters running a model train company. Gone is the era when Wolfgang ran the place and stuff got made in volumes(for better or worse). Mike
SA#16
Mike Toney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.