Mexican train part 2 - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2016, 04:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Mexican train part 2

I have started two new cars for my Mexican train. I will post photos as soon as MLS will let me add them to my to my MLS space. I added a new directory to my web space but when I click on it to add photos I get this message:

This is the manage page. The following files are in your folder. You are currently using 74.43 MB of your allotted MB.
Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a004c'
Path not found
/manage.asp, line 200

I sent a message to MLS but don't know when they will answer.
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2016, 12:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Winn,
The 1st class area is public space (has to be, so we can see each others pics.) So I have no problem finding your folders [looked at the image location for your sig/logo and chopped off the file name.] It is at http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/placitassteam/

The last folder is
11/19/2016 12:59 PM <dir> Mexican 2nd class & cargo

That "&" is probably the problem. These files and folders are stored in a server that needs simple names, and the '&' means something. [That's also why you often see filenames with %20 in them instead of spaces.]

Always use lower case, no spaces (hyphen works well) and no special characters. Delete the folder (or abandon it) and make a new one called "mexican-2nd-class-and-cargo" or similar.
Old 11-20-2016, 06:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Pete, Thanks so much for your help on uploading photos. It worked as you can see.

I will start with a couple of photos of the second class car that I am modeling. Here is a train pulling several of the cars.

I took this photo of a car being painted at the railroad museum in Puebla, Mexico. Sorry about quality.

It turned out that this car is about the same length as a flat car except for the platform extensions. The wheel base is about right and it appears that it rides on arch bar trucks or something that looks pretty close. It almost looks like these were actually built on a freight car base but the floor is the same height as a regular passenger car. The sides come down so low that they almost hide the trucks.

I started with an Accucraft flat car.

The stake pockets and end beams were removed.

Parts of the end beams will be used later to make the draft gear.

A floor was made that sits on top of the flat car deck.

The car sides are built in 3 layers. The outside layers are made from Evergreen .060 thick grooved car siding. They split at the belt line which made it easy to cut out the windows. The belt line was made from strip styrene and glued to the top of the lower wall. The window section was then glued to the top of the belt line and window trim added. The outer wall was painted before continuing the construction.The second layer is a single piece of 3/32 Lexan glued to the inside of the wall with super glue gel. The inside of the walls will be finished with wood veneer. Here are the parts I have so far.

Old 12-06-2016, 06:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have done a little more on this car. The paneling and trim on the inside of the walls is done.

I also got started on the end walls.

This is another photo of the second class car. This one is actually both first and second class.

And here is a view of the interior. How would you like to spend 24 hours in there?

This is my attempt to model those wood slat seats. I started with seats that I had from an Accucraft J & S coach. After removing them from the floor I painted them black and then added the wood slats.

That is all for now. I will be incognito for a couple of weeks.
MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL
Old 12-06-2016, 08:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

I get it.
Says right on the side. "Primera" "Segunda" by the entrances.
What were the differences in the interior seating arraignments?
Wesley, Steamaholic #212
Garden Railroads: A Growing Obsession
Wesley Furman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2016, 01:31 AM   #6 (permalink)

In this case I don't know. Most of the first class cars were more like the Jackson Sharp. Gerald Best's book has a photo of a first class interior with leather upholstered seats. I don't plan to do a first class car other than Pullman.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:08 AM   #7 (permalink)

Winn
Looking very nice, I look forward to seeing more when you return from holiday break.
Best wishes to you Kathy and the whole family

Jerry
Naptowneng is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2016, 03:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
Old Senior Member

Send a message via Yahoo to noelw

Do any one know why the long air hose up the railing is for. It that some kind of a Emerg. brake if needed when backing up?

Rio feather says... One leave train running here and takes a coffee break may find Koi fishies checking out how deep an Engine can swim when Swing Bridge is left open. It happen to Big Feather Tweedledum.... Burnt fingers nbr. SA#49
Our Video's http://www.youtube.com/user/noelw71
Our Broadcast channel http://www.livestream.com/noelw
noelw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2016, 08:47 AM   #9 (permalink)

Noel;

It allows the conductor to control the brakes from his end of the train. Some of them also had a small air whistle for signaling. I have seen them on cabooses as well.

Yours,
David Meashey
Dave Meashey is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2016, 05:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

dave, they used to have one on the last car at Steam into history and the conductor showed me how it worked. he showed me the little whistle on the end, and as you said, it was used for signaling

Nate Heffner
Tomahawk & Western RR is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.