G Scale Model Train Forum banner

What transformer to use with LGB 20471

8K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Dan Pierce 
#1 ·
I am realy new to all of this. I have an LGB starter set that I got when I was little. It came with an LGB 5003 transformer. The small loco that came with the starter set used to move around the track at a pretty good clip and would slow when put under load.

I more recently aquired an LGB 20471 loco when on a trip to Germany. When I put that on the same track with the 5003 transformer, it moves much much slower. The lights dont get very bright. After about 10 mins of continual operation the transformer overheats and shuts off.

I just went to a hobby shop and while they did not sell any LGB or even any G-scale trains at all the guy there told me that I could damage my loco by running it with too little power.

Is this true? What transformer should I be using to get the best performance out of my loco? The lable on the train box says 0-24v. That would lead me to believe that using a smaller transformer would not hurt it.

I dont particularly care that the train is running slowly and aside for a little inconvienient it is not a big deal that it cuts off every 10-15 mins.

I want to set up the track this Christmas so that my little girl can see it. Would I hurt my loco to just continue using the same transformer.

See less See more
#8 ·
By exact definition a transformer is Alternating Current (AC) and most large scale is Direct Current (DC) which requires a power pack that converts your househole AC to DC and then a voltage control is needed which can be an all in the one unit like the LGB pictured above or separate units.
So, a Lionel transformer will not run your LGB trains without additional units to convert the AC to DC or pure DC , but the MRC power pack will!! For some engines with electronics, keep momentum off for best running/least problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.