For those that live in the mountains - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2017, 11:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default For those that live in the mountains

Not sure if this is the right place, but wife and I are thinking about retiring to the mountains in a couple years. I would like to take my layout, but we are looking at 2-10 acres so no fences, etc. the current one is maybe 300' as I recall. Do you leave your track out all year? How about wild animals like deer, elk, turkeys, etc? I already decided I'd move to battery to avoid the cleaning and connection issues. How about snow, falling pine tree branches, sap, etc? I'm not crazy about a raised layout but it would have to be substantial as my existing has a loop made of the square PCV moulding that cows have wrecked the first time the hot wire was down. Any input and especially real world experiences would be appreciated.
mickey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2017, 07:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Pierce

I have had deer in my RR. Just do not spook them as when they start to run it can damage the track.
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2017, 09:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

I get 300# Javalinas, a pig like rodent! I've had ties knocked off the rail and 1 minor ding in the 6 years it was on the ground all the time. I've just elevated mine 2' because the ground squirrels kept burying my track.
Best part of going up; I can take a folding chair and be comfortable as I work on sections... my knees thank me.
Sap can derail locos, there will always be some maintenance.

John

Old 02-10-2017, 11:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
s-4

My track is out in the woods in rural New Hampshire. I use full size 1-1/2 in crushed stone as a base for the track. Provides an extremely durable base, drains well and repels critters big and small. On top of that I use finer crushed stone for the track to sit on... a layer of 1/2in and a layer of 3/8 blue stone.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Mickey:

I had a pseudo mine entrance on my former layout. Just a simple structure and not very deep. I came out to run one early fall afternoon to find the mine entrance stuffed with acorns! Just thought I'd mention that to make you aware that the little critters (squirrels in this case) can still raise havoc on a garden railroad.

Have fun,
David Meashey

Last edited by Dave Meashey; 02-10-2017 at 08:00 PM. Reason: correct verb case
Dave Meashey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2017, 07:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Toney

Snow and normal mother nature stuff doesn't really phase my LGB track that has been outdoors 15+ years. Now I do not have issues with wildlife other than my dogs. We have had to replace a couple of 2 foot sections of my friends ground level line as a wash out left unfixed and a deer didnt mix, his track was Aristocraft. With proper roadbed, track should be fine short of a huge animal or huge tree/timb falling on it. Mike
SA#16
Mike Toney is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2017, 09:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Meashey View Post
Mickey:

I had a pseudo mine entrance on my former layout. Just a simple structure and not very deep. I came out to run one early fall afternoon to find the mine entrance stuffed with acorns! Just thought I'd mention that to make you aware that the little critters (squirrels in this case) can still raise havoc on a garden railroad.

Have fun,
David Meashey
I've got a raised layout, 2 ft off the ground, and like Dave, have a small mine, maybe a foot and a half deep, with a dump pit, and I'm always finding nuts, half eaten apples and corn cobs in the tunnels, lol.
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2017, 09:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

I live in the Adirondack Mts of New York about 2500 feet of track 3 loops including large yard and many sidings, I usually have snow about 40" in the yard. It is wooded. I leave all buildings out all winter. They need some work every spring.
major problems deer in yard everyday. Once a deer got it hoofs stuck between the rails and tore up about 16 ft. of track. imagine trying to yank it off the deer without getting the deer charging me. every spring much track leveling and new ballast due to moles burrowing and raising the track. and occasionally skunks routing to get moles under track. and sap from the hemlocks on track.
Worst problem was a bear stepping on some buildings. Lots of fun keeps me off the streets as I am retired.
adir tom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2017, 07:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks guys on your input.
mickey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2017, 06:26 AM   #10 (permalink)

I personally don't prefer mountains, because my brother has told me that he felt very strange in the mountains. He could see wild animals and it was a weird feeling. I haven't tried yet.
Eric01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.