Moving so pulling up layout and here is what I found and more question - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2017, 10:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Moving so pulling up layout and here is what I found and more question

We are in the process of preparing to sell the Texas house and 'semi retire' to Durango, so started dismantling the layout. It's all Aristo track with some Train-Li switches. I plan to do another layout there, but with what I'm finding, I'm not sure I want to do it outside.

First, it's only been down in the sun for maybe 5 years, but I found the plastic ties were breaking/broken left and right. Is there any way to avoid this the next go around or is this just a fact of life if outside? The Train-Li did better, but still had some broken areas that will have to be fixed.

Second, is it just the Texas sun? Will the cold winters of Durango be an issue too?

Third, I'm tired of cleaning track so I will be switching engines to battery. So are the Aristo connectors good enough or do I still need to use the clamps I did here to try and help with electrical conductivity?

Fourth, I had some messed up sections due to animals. The cow damage was my fault as I forgot to turn the hot wire back on at some point. But I also had some dog damage, especially the plastic ties, knocking track out of its intended path, etc. In Durango, we will be on acerage again. While no cows, there are wild turkey, deer, elk and even bear. So if you do an outside layout, how do you avoid these animals damaging track? Or can you? I've thought about the raised wood platform style but that's not really the best looking to me, especially if it's more than a foot off the ground. Cement track beds might help but I'm guessing they would still mess up track since it's still on the ground. What have others done who are in animal areas?

The thought of constantly putting track down just to play, then picking it up, etc. Suggestions and input are always welcome.
mickey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2017, 10:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Seņor Member

Armorall or similar every 6 months, the stuff that that has UV protectant in it... Armorall brand and the Turtle Wax brand work well.

Your ties will also go back to black, spray on with a garden sprayer.

If you are battery stock joiners are fine.

If you have cement roadbed, it will stand up to hooves much better.

Greg 1,133

Click here for Greg's web site

Note: Due to the history of acrimony from some members, I might stop responding in a thread, so feel free to ask me questions via email (not private messages).

PLEASE NOTE: I have disabled Private Messaging, please use regular email: greg@elmassian.com
Greg Elmassian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2017, 03:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

Raise the railroad off the ground, elevate to waist high. As for birds, put up a mock bird of prey to keep them away. Not too sure about moose and other large herbivores - maybe if you run some electric wire fencing around the outer perimeter. Bears - I got no idea, here in Australia there are only koalas and drop bears.

Old 06-18-2017, 07:35 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Pierce

My LGB track/ties have no large color loss after 15 years outside here in Massachusetts.
Sun only hits my RR in the afternoon due to many trees in the area.
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2017, 09:24 AM   #5 (permalink)

A gentleman on LSC has a seasonal layout in Colorado east of Durango. I suspect he has a good deal of experience with some of the questions you are asking..

http://www.largescalecentral.com/for...another-summer

and his web pages

http://southwestchief.deviantart.com...Model-Railroad

Jerry
Naptowneng is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2017, 01:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seņor Member

Remember that most of colorado is higher, thus receives more UV.

I've seen LGB ties fade too.

Greg

Note: Due to the history of acrimony from some members, I might stop responding in a thread, so feel free to ask me questions via email (not private messages).

PLEASE NOTE: I have disabled Private Messaging, please use regular email: greg@elmassian.com
Old 06-18-2017, 02:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Toney

My LGB track has done well for its 15 years of outdoor use. But like the other gentleman, it does not get a full days worth of sun directly on it. Being shaded by the early afternoon. In another year or two, the tree next to the layout will totaly shade my small layout I have now. Once you start the armorall treament, you cannot stop. Atleast with car/truck dashes, others have had issues with drying out and cracking much faster once they started the treatment, then stopped for one reason or another. Mike
SA#16
Mike Toney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2017, 03:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Seņor Member

Armorall on dash boards is completely different situation, since it is a different plastic.

Also that was the old formulation before the UV protectant was added.

Armorall was developed (in the current name) in southern california, about 15 miles from my home, and have been using it all along, through the dashboard era, and it is not "addictive"... for the plastics it used to be incompatible with those days are gone, that type of plastic is not what our ties are made of.

Anyway I have about 10 years of experience with it on USAT, Aristo and LGB track, all positive. I've got experience using the product since about 1972. My ties look almost new, my friend's have rotten ties.

Greg

Old 06-18-2017, 10:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

I live north of Durango and run trains year around. I put boards over the switches when not running. There are deer visiting here almost every night. (Game camera) As for the ties once you put track down and ballast the ties should stay in place. My track is also free floating. This is my 3rd layout and some of the track has been around since 1995..
Old 06-19-2017, 10:10 AM   #10 (permalink)

since 92 my tack has been in the hot Utah sun,severe winters with up to 3 feet of snow and at the spring melt partially enclosed in an ice block ,yes some aristo ties got really bridal and had to be replaced ,all track is at ground level and free floating in fine gravel! Can't complain!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.