Mini Lathe Parting Tool Trick - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2016, 12:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Mini Lathe Parting Tool Trick

steamermeister is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2017, 04:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Wood turning paradigm?

I can sort of feel the lacking vibrations in the movie!

Although parting off is one of my worst operations (aparantely, I'm not alone...), I cannot help thinking that the base problem is constant in most hobby turning. It's sort of endemic, that we take on working pieces in our lathes (and mills... but that's possibly another thread ?!), that simply are slightly to big, beyond the best operating range of our lathes... ;-) Has to do with economy. We don't use our lathes to the extent to support a larger size lathe.

However, this movie gives hope. Apart from parting off, should we really run our light duty, overstrained lathes in reverse, with inverted tools all the time?

Are we simply stuck in an 18th century wood turning paradigm for historical reasons?!?

I know, that I will try out inverting everything, next time I run the lathe!

PS Parting off tool would possibly be better off slightly above center, in this reverse/ inverted mode. Other tools are probably best dead center?

Last edited by Pauli; 01-24-2017 at 05:16 PM. Reason: additional thoughts
Pauli is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2017, 12:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

As some of the people in the video comments pointed out, this is probably not a long term solution to the problem of chatter because it puts stress on the saddle plates, which normally don't deal with the force of turning when running forwards. That said, I think it's an interesting out of the box idea.

As for me, I've recently done a number of modifications to my 7x12 lathe and now it runs more like a full sized tool room machine.

I've replaced the stock spindle bearings with taper roller bearings which are designed for axial and radial forces. Normal bearings are only meant for radial forces.

I've replaced the compound slide base with the "drilled and milled" version sold by Little Machine Shop. This eliminates tool post overhang because it mounts to the cross slide near its end instead of on its center.

I've drilled and tapped holes into compound slide top in between the gib plate adjustment screws for the addition of thumb screws to lock the compound slide travel and remove any slop when I don't need to move it.

Finally, I replaced the piston style quick change tool post that has served me well for many years with an OXA wedge style tool post.

All of this serves one purpose: to maximize rigidity, which is the name of the game in any type of machining; slop being the root cause of all chatter. This is particularly important on smaller machines because their short dimensions make them inherantly less rigid than larger machines.
steamermeister is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 08:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

Default not quite a lathe

Hassle free parting:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.