G Scale Model Train Forum banner

G Scale Steel or Aluminum Wheels?

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Treeman 
#1 ·
I just started to run my small G Scale (mostly LGB) after many years & would like to know if there are any steel or aluminum wheels that I should use, or not use.
Thanks

#2 ·
To the best of my knowledge, Bachmann 31.0mm wheel sets are the least expensive and are pretty readily available. I run their wheel sets on all but my AMS 1:20.3 equipment. There are may other manufacturers out there, some are better than Bachmann but they are also more expensive. I would recommend perusing a recent copy of Garden Railways magazine to see who is advertising.

#3 ·
Metal wheels will improve the performance of your cars. They add weight and lower the center of gravity. The less expensive wheels, Bachmann, I believe are cast. The more expensive are machined. I'm not aware of any aluminum wheels. I wouldn't buy any for my cars if they exist, because they wouldn't add much weight and it is the weight that helps keep the cars on the track.

I use Bachmann on many of my cars. The flanges are thicker on the Bachmann wheels. If you are going for a more scale look you will like the machined wheels. Bachmann is fine if you just want something to roll under the cars.

Chuck

#5 ·
No S-4, not zamak or any other soft metal casting. I believe the Bachmann wheels are sintered metal similar to the older Lionel wheels. They are durable like steel. For the most part they are pretty good, although I have had an axle or two with wheels not centered or true to the axle. I used them on an older MOW piece and they fit right in with the genre of equipment.
The Bachmann wheels are a direct fit replacement for LGB wheels, I have a dozen or more cars that are LGB with Bachmann steel wheels. Occasionally you will need to install shims to center the axles in the side frames due to excessive side play. Purchase a quantity of 3mm nylon flat washers, they work well for this. Additionally find some plastic safe grease (I use white lithium from the auto parts store) and lubricate the axle ends when you re-assemble the trucks.

#8 ·
One thing from my observation, cast wheels (from what is commonly called pot metal) often do not run true, and this is certainly true of Bachmann "replacement" wheels.

USAT uses CNC wheels, as does Aristo. AMS and AML seem to have moved to sintered steel, which seems to be less cost to manufacture, but run nice and true.

The CNC machined wheels are often brass, but some are soft steel.

Greg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.