G Scale Model Train Forum banner

Photo storage - From Bille's thread

7K views 37 replies 7 participants last post by  Dwight Ennis 
#1 ·
I thought this reply was worth posting, but Bille's build thread wasn't the place.

Web space was added to 1st Class Membership over a decade ago to address just this issue. Photos are stored in a 1st Class Member's web space and can easily be linked to, and the photo will stay there indefinitely - unless the member either deletes it himself
Now that it is 10 years later, a small improvement would be to move a copy of the user's photo to a system file and use that, so the thread stays coherent even if the member goes away. There are several old threads that have no pictures in them. And taking a copy would allow us to clean up our space - I'd like to rename photos and move them into new folders, but I can't.

or allows his 1st Class Membership to lapse.
Actually, it never did. My membership lapsed for a couple of years, as I was fed up of the problems and wanted to eradicate my personal information. The files stayed where they were and I continued to have access to them. Then the new owners made me a 1st Class Fellow again so no problem !

#2 ·
My space is full and I have no alternative.... I tried a photo gallery, but it doesn't play nice with me.
John

#3 ·
Maybe it is rude of me to make this suggestion, but have you seen LargeScaleCentral.com ? A much smaller operation than this, but run by an enthusiast (Bob McCown) who posts and pays attention. His storage, both Freightsheds and Albums, are free, although you can support the site by buying more storage - which I do.

#4 ·
Pete... there was a time - whey back when - when this site was under Shad's control and things were more easily implemented. Now, under the new management, we're still trying to get the ftp fixed. LOL!!

Seems to me one used to be able to buy additional 1st Class space here. But again, it took us months just to get 1st Class membership reinstated here after the "sale."

#8 ·
I understand and use the attachments, but I don't know how to place the pics on the page so I can comment on each one.

FTP was before my time.

John

#9 ·
You have unlimited attachment privileges on the site. Are you using the FTP from the old homepage?
Kevin,
The "Attachments" are a new feature. Some folk have noticed them and I see them being used. Maybe our Moderator (Dwight?) could let everyone know they exist and are "unlimited".

I don't use them because, like most pop-up images, they don't give you any control. Your techs have pre-set the size so they work with tablets and big screens - but they don't have the ability to click on them and make them full size so you can review the details. With the file storage, you can drop in a full-size image and the Forum will resize it to acceptable display size, but let you click it to see the original.

Or do they - maybe I should try one!

Edit: I added a photo 3264x2448 / 2.15MB and it uploaded as 224KB, so it got seriously compressed. While I can click on the image to 'blow it up', I only get a fuzzy version, not the original.

Attachments

#16 ·
#12 ·
On the forum, since you have a first class subscription, you shouldn't ever really reach your limit.

But since FTP is a hosting program, I'm not too sure about that since it's something that's not in use anymore on most sites in general.

I can post a image guide on how to post images if you like.

Lee

#13 ·
Just before you took over I reached 98% full...

I missed the early (many years ago when MLS was new) deal of a bigger storage space.

I couldn't see renewing at 1st class with no added space, that's why I'm in the conversation.
Thanks,
John

#14 ·
But since FTP is a hosting program, I'm not too sure about that since it's something that's not in use anymore on most sites in general.
FTP is not a "hosting" program, but rather a file transfer system. FTP in fact stands for "File Transfer Protocol" - a common dialog or "language" (protocol) computers can use to move files from one computer system or network to another. FTP was one of the original protocols developed, and well proceeded HTTP (HyperText Transfer Protocol) used by our browsers.

An FTP program speaks the File Transfer Protocol, and allows one to log into another computer (in our case, your computer which hosts our images). The FTP program facilitates uploading images from our computers to your "host" computer, downloading our images from your host to our computers, and allows us to create/delete/rename folders, rename files, etc. within our own dedicated web space on your host. The FTP program doesn't itself host anything, but rather acts as an interface between computers, much the same way as a web browser does, but the FTP program is dedicated to file and folder manipulation.

#17 ·
Users should still be able to attach/host images on our server via uploading them in the attachments section of the UserCP, first class membership have almost unlimited space.
For now we're working on trying to recover the FTP but we don't have any luck with it.

Lee, community support

#15 ·
I can post a image guide on how to post images if you like.
I think you'll find there are multiple threads on how-to post images on MLS. Even a 'sticky' somewhere and maybe an FAQ.

What would be more use, given the new ownership, would be a comparison of the 3 different image-posting mechanisms: 1st-class file storage, attachments, and albums.
- maximum display size, resolution
- total number that can be stored
- etc.

#18 ·
Can you look in there and tell me what's your storage amount?
Lee
"You are currently using 995.1 KB to store 16 uploaded attachments."

Re: FTP. You are aware that we can access our file storage through the usual channels? http://gold.mylargescale.com/
"This is the manage page. The following files are in your folder. You are currently using 104 MB of your allotted MB. "

That's the old MLS file manager, and it still works. I just logged in as usual. ( Interesting I am up to 104MB, as the old limit was 100MB. Is there a file storage limit these days?)

The reason we use FTP is that the file Manager isn't very smart. No way to search for an image title, for example. Hence some of us used an FTP program - which stopped working.

trying to recover the FTP
As Dwight says, it's an Internet protocol. As a professional network geek, I used to fix problems like that.
It's likely that your network services is not configured for FTP and the IP port is blocked. Did you move everything to a new server or a new O/S revision? Did you install a new firewall or spam filter?

#21 ·
#25 ·
Add the attachment, open the attachment, copy the location of said pic and paste into photo editor pop up.
Might be easiest to edit post to insert comments regarding each pic.
John

#34 ·
Well, I got in, but things changed a little. I used Dwight's FTP link and my Firefox got me in - but the userid was petethornton@1stclass.mylargescale.com.

That wasn't what was in my CuteFTP login, which still failed. However, CuteFTP seems to save whatever you edit so it is possible one or other of my tests had changed the old password. So with that userid, the CuteFTP worked.

Is everyone good then?
I don't know about everyone, but I'm happy that the problem has gone away.

#37 ·
I can also get in that way... And I can upload a file, download a file, and delete a file, but I cannot "view" a file. When I attempt to "open" a file there, I get a new "Edge" window and a popup box to enter a user id and password. If I enter the same username as I entered to start the session and the same password, it thinks about it for a bit and then says: "That page can't be displayed." Not sure if that is a browser problem trying to view a JPG file or something else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.