G Scale Model Train Forum banner

Hi Everyone! Need help.

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Greg Elmassian 
#1 ·
I'm very new to this forum/website. I need a little bit of help. I have an older stainz setup that I have had since I was a child. I did just buy a newer locomotive with sound and smoke. However the smoke is not up to par with what I would like. I woils like the smoke to plume out at low speeds of possible. I am located in Ohio. Very willing to buy a locomotive that works this way. Also willing to have someone fix my locomotive to work the way I would like t to work.

Thanks for all the help and understanding. I want this setup to last and be cherished by my children just like I love it.

#2 ·
Unfortunately with the more modern LGB engines and varying voltages with smoke units, smoke production tends to be hit or miss. I've seen decent puffs, but I mostly see wispy trickles. What engine are you describing as smoking poor? Any mfg. numbers on the bottom?

#3 ·
I should have said that the newer locomotive I purchased was also a stainz. I have read up on what to do. However I can't seem to locate the parts. I also don't understand anything about power requirements. My lack of knowledge is why I'm willing to pay for help. All I want is more smoke in my current setup.

#5 ·
Most smoke units leave a lot to be desired. After an unattended smoke unit, no fluid, got hot enough to soften and deform the stack on an LGB mogul, I cut all the wires to the stacks on all my locomotives, if there wasn't a switch for smoke that could be turned OFF.

I'm not a fan of smoke. When it works it looks great, but it rarely puts out enough to see.

Chuck

#7 ·
I'd work with the Train-Li people, and get a Zimo, direct drive a smoke unit, and it can be set up to work on DC.

It will probably be close to $200 for the decoder (you get sound too) and another $50 or more for the smoke unit, and then there will be the labor, since it needs to be programmed via a DCC system.

Are you sure you want to invest this?

Below is a video of a USAT smoke unit (not quite as much storage as the Train-Li) running from a QSI decoder at my place.

Greg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.