If i only had the money........ - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2017, 04:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default If i only had the money........

I guess this is old news but i just stumbled upon it. Tom Millers estate for sale. I wonder if his indoor large scale layout is included?

Last edited by OldNoob; 02-04-2017 at 10:35 AM.
OldNoob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2017, 04:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Bill Millers estate for sale
I think you mean Tom Miller, and it's been for sale since 2012 - unless someone bought it. Let me see . . .ah yes, a 2012 thread:
Tom Miller's home/buildings/trains for sale

Some of his stuff seemsis for sale:
http://discoverlivesteam.com/discove...ller/index.htm

It's still for sale - Tom reduced the price to $2,475,000 this year.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Dish Washer

While there are a lot of us who would love to have a railroad like this, most of us would build it some where else if we had the money or backing to spend this kind of money. So that really hurts the ability for the seller to find a buyer. You can't just buy the property, move the railroad to where you want it and sell the property. I don't ever see this property getting sold until a group of investors is the oregon area buy the property with the idea of somehow making money off it.

Randy Stone's
Rock Island South RR
Seminole County, Florida
Randy Stone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 11:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

Randy, we had the odd discussion about whether to sell your home with RR in situ or whether to remove it. I think the realtor will tell you to take it out and clear the landscape. I suspect that, unfortunately, applies to Tom's spread - though he seems willing to wait until a buyer cones along who (a) wants a 7 1/2" gauge RR and (b) wants to live in Oregon. Lots of Baby Boomers retiring these days!
Old 01-30-2017, 12:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
A Steamed Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Stone View Post
While there are a lot of us who would love to have a railroad like this, most of us would build it some where else if we had the money or backing to spend this kind of money. So that really hurts the ability for the seller to find a buyer. You can't just buy the property, move the railroad to where you want it and sell the property. I don't ever see this property getting sold until a group of investors is the oregon area buy the property with the idea of somehow making money off it.
Randy,

I don't know if you are aware of Tom Miller's background in having huge properties with a large 7-1/2 inch gauge layout . This property is either his second or third in Oregon over the past thirty years or so.. He retired very early in his life and truly enjoys his hobbies. His Big Boy has been sold, along with a couple of 2-1/2 inch scale K36's and numerous other 1/8th scale locomotives and most of his rolling stock. Just the sale of THESE items would take most of us to win a very large lottery. The property and home is just incidental here. AND this isn't his ONLY home . This is not a "have-to-sell" property. I have emailed him a few times in the past few years and he told me he was looking for a "steward" for his place and one who loves the hobby as much as he does . This quote of yours: "You can't just buy the property, move the railroad to where you want it and sell the property". This is EXACTLY what he did with his previous railroad properties! Train Mountain is a prime example of a large railroad in 7-1/2 inch gauge where the owners had a dream and the tremendous amount of funds to actually do this and its still growing and expanding. Last count was over 50 ACTUAL miles of track!

Right now, I'm building a very small 7-1/2 inch gauge layout around my home here in Burbank. I am purchasing all my rail and ties from a company in Washington state. This company is a distributor of the Accutie System and they also design, build and finish railroads like this throughout the West Coast from Mexico to Canada. He has built railroads larger than Tom's for quite a few Microsoft executives. Folks in this "realm" are truly in another category of railroad people.
SA #4449
Gary Armitstead is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2017, 10:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Thornton View Post
I think you mean Tom Miller, and it's been for sale since 2012 - unless someone bought it. Let me see . . .ah yes, a 2012 thread:
Tom Miller's home/buildings/trains for sale

Some of his stuff seemsis for sale:
http://discoverlivesteam.com/discove...ller/index.htm

It's still for sale - Tom reduced the price to $2,475,000 this year.
Thank You for the correction, my dislexia kicking in again ;o) Actually 2.5 mill is not bad considering the acreage and whats on it.
OldNoob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.