LGB stainz locomotive2010 / 994607 locomotive smoke stacks - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2009, 10:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default LGB stainz locomotive2010 / 994607 locomotive smoke stacks

Hi
First may i introduce myself. My name is Stephen garrett. And I am from Tyne and Wear England. As I am quite new to LGB, I am very pleased I have come across your forum. MY first question ( of many probely).I have two stainz locomotives and locomotive No 994607. None of have smoke stacks. Would it be possible for anyone to advise of smoke stack types and fittinig instructions. Hope someone can be of help.

With thanks
Steve
robtom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2009, 06:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default RE: LGB stainz locomotive2010 / 994607 locomotive smoke stacks

Steve,

The LGB stacks are moulded to a long rod with a threaded end. * They *affix with a single nut. * Lgb had sold them as replaceable parts.

You may find one on an internet auction site if you enter the terms schornstein, or kobelschornstein, or dampfentwickler.

It should be possible to fabricate a 2010-style straight stack.

good luck

TL *

Tom Leaton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2009, 09:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Some Stainz locos do not have the type of stack mentioned. There are three types that I know of. First is the type mentioned in the last post. Of this type, there are two variations. One has an active smoke unit fitted into the stack that is not removable. This stack has a black top section and silver lower section with a nut on the threaded bottom end. This type of stack is turned on and off via metal "lever" that is mounted on the underside of the loco. When the lever is turned so that it makes contact with the metal button on the bottom of the stack, you get smoke. These can still be found on Ebay. They come as the stack alone, or as a kit that includes a piece of wire some screws and the metal lever. These are used for converting a non smoker into a smoker.

The second variation of the straight through stack does not have a smoke unit inside. Instead the entire stack, the part you see above the boiler, and the part hidden inside are one plastic casting. This type also has a nut on the bottom end. However this nut is larger than the nut used on the smoking stack, and thus are not interchangeable.

There is a third type. This one has a nut located inside the boiler. The loco must be dismantled in order to install or remove this type of stack. this stack is also a non smoker, but can be fitted with a smoke unit. I know that Stainz loco with the number 3 on the side of the cab have this type of stack.

There may be more variations than what I mentioned, but these are the ones I have had experience with.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:46 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks Tom,
Will have a look and let you know what happens
Thanks again
Steve
Old 07-16-2009, 07:49 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks Dan,
Will have a look. And let you know how I get on. My engines have a number 2 on the side if that makes the mud any clearer.

Thanks again

Steve
Old 07-16-2009, 02:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

It is important to distinguish between the term smokestack and smoke unit, the latter being a smoke generator which on some engines is found inside the stack, and which is generally a replaceble part.

The Stainz 2 is a great engine. I know that the older versions with the metal valve gear were great runners.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Here is what happens when a young student with a camera meets a Stainz 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGlw8bcYNlA
Old 07-16-2009, 08:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

The older Stainz locos have a molded #2 on the cab sides. While the newer ones have a decal #2. The difference is that the smoke unit can be switched off. not so on the newer locos. LGB claimed that running the loco with the smoke unit empty would not damage the smoke unit. I can believe that, only because even filled, half way as per instructions, very, very little smoke is produced. These smoke units are rated at 18 volts. At 18 volts the only thing keeping the loco on the track is a lack of wings!
Old 07-17-2009, 06:59 AM   #9 (permalink)

Hi Dan,
Thanks for your responce. My loco's are of the new type with decal number two. I have sorced a funnel smoke stack (part number lgb65203). Do you know if this would work

. If so could you supply me with tips or instructions.on fitting.

Thanks again

Steve
Old 07-20-2009, 09:03 AM   #10 (permalink)

Good Day Steve,
Sorry for the delay, but I was having too much fun with my trains this weekend, and didn't check some of my posts.
If I am not mistaken, the stack you have is the one that does not go all the way through to the bottom of the loco. In that case you will need to remove the motor block from the loco. Start by removing the two hex head screws on each side of the loco, that hold the valve gear in place. They are the tiny screws above the wheels, along the running boards. Put them in a safe place! Next, remove the couplers and "cow catchers". This will allow easier access to the two screws that hold the motor block to the chassis. Once you have the motor block removed, be careful as there are still wires present that run up into the loco cab for lights etc., look at the top of the motor block. You will see two unused pins sticking straight up at you. These pins carry track voltage. Insert the two smoke unit leads onto these pins. Now, put it all back together and have fun!
If you have any questions at all please post or email me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.