myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

myLargescale.com > Community > Forums (http://forums.mylargescale.com/)
-   Feedback Forum (http://forums.mylargescale.com/36-feedback-forum/)
-   -   E-mailing members from posts, instead of Msgs. (http://forums.mylargescale.com/36-feedback-forum/10116-e-mailing-members-posts-instead-msgs.html)

Gary Armitstead 02-24-2010 08:46 AM

RE: E-mailing members from posts, instead of Msgs.

I agree Jerry. The other day i had a question about some lamps that docwatson used on his private car. It took me "half-a-day" to jump through the hoops to get an e-mail message to him. All these settings and such is becoming very boring. Privacy is ONE thing, but this is ridiculous!

Jerry McColgan 02-24-2010 01:03 PM

Posted By gary Armitstead on 24 Feb 2010 08:46 AM
I agree Jerry. The other day i had a question about some lamps that docwatson used on his private car. It took me "half-a-day" to jump through the hoops to get an e-mail message to him. All these settings and such is becoming very boring. Privacy is ONE thing, but this is ridiculous!

Hi Gary,

The good news is that if I try to email you I do NOT get the forbidding

The person you are trying to contact only accepts private messages from friends.[/b]
message.

I don't know what you did to enable this but I guess everyone on MLS who is willing to accept messages needs to do whatever it is that you did.

Regards,

Jerry

SteveC 02-24-2010 01:51 PM

If I'm not mistaken, to send another MLS member an eMail as was done in the old Snitz forum software, ceased to exist in Jan. 2008 when we switched to the new forum software.

With the advent of the new forum software the use of the 'Send Message' link found in the 'Author' column on each topic page where the member's information that's posting that reply is found.[*] Has always resulted in sending that member a PM (Private Message).[*] Then depending on each member's configuration of the...[*] 'Notify me via Email:' setting (i.e. checked/enabled or not checked/disabled)[*] Which is located in the 'Notifications' section of the 'My Settings'.[/list][/list][*] Upon receipt of a PM or Friendship request[*] Either an eMail to that member 'would' or 'would not' be generated and sent to the member's eMail registered with MLS.[/list][/list]So the only thing that has taken place, was the default settings of some of the user configuration settings got automatically changed during the last forum software update.

Just like sometimes when you get and apply a software update/upgrade on your local system, parts of the program may change in the way they operate, your personal configuration settings get set back to their default values, or maybe you start having problems with your browser while surfing the Internet. While this may be an inconvenience, it is not something unusual in the software world.

Pete Thornton 02-24-2010 04:35 PM

The good news is that if I try to email you I do NOT get the forbidding
Jerry,

Shad loaded a new version and the "send message" link now defaults to 'only allow messages from friends'. He said he can't change the default system wide to "everyone" to make it like it was.

You have to go into 'my settings' and reset it yourself - then it works like it used to. Try Page 2 in this thread . .
http://www.mylargescale.com/Communit...9/Default.aspx

ShadsTrains 02-25-2010 04:53 PM

This should be resolved now. I was able to identify the flag in the database that set pm settings. I have set everyone who had the default setting of 'friends only' to 'anyone'. If you had set it to not allow anyone to PM you, I have left that setting in tact.

Pete Thornton 02-26-2010 07:48 AM

This should be resolved now.

Great! Now everyone is my friend again !! ;-)

Jerry Barnes 02-26-2010 08:31 AM

I just hate that little irritating box in the corner.

Pete Thornton 02-26-2010 09:00 AM

Jerry,

I assume you mean the 'notification' box. I turned all mine off - 'messages' come to my email address.

If you do the 'my settings' thing (on your profile page - not on this Forum page,) all the profile items are links that you can click on and set/reset/unset. Including 'notifications'.
http://www.mylargescale.com/1stclass.../Untitled0.jpg

ShadsTrains 02-26-2010 09:40 AM

Just as a side note, this last update was supposed to resolve the 'you have a message' popup when there weren't any new messages.. If it's still happenening, send me a PM and I'll take a look at it.

Jerry McColgan 02-26-2010 12:48 PM

Posted By ShadsTrains on 25 Feb 2010 04:53 PM
This should be resolved now. I was able to identify the flag in the database that set pm settings. I have set everyone who had the default setting of 'friends only' to 'anyone'. If you had set it to not allow anyone to PM you, I have left that setting in tact.
Hi Shad,

I just checked by trying to send an email to myself and it appears to have been resolved.

Many thanks,

Jerry McColgan