G Scale Model Train Forum banner

ESU Loksound V 3.2 and V3.5 ...'keep alive'?

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  beavercreek 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a few of the newer Loksound XL V4.0 decoders which have 'keep alive' built in but I also have quite a few of the older V3.2 and V3.5 XL which do not.
Is there a way of rigging a keep alive' module up and then attaching it to the V3.2/3.5 decoder?
Has anyone actually done this?

This would eradicate the sound drops and any motion problems due to any small track problems.

Please don't tell me to fix my track ;-)

#3 ·
Hi Keith
Unfortunately, while Massoth equipped their decoders with the obvious connection points for the '+', '-' and charge. They also explain them in the manual.
ESU does no such thing! While easy to find the '+' and maybe the '-' there is no obvious connection to offer the 'charge'

#5 ·
No it is not connected to the decoder input, I think you have confused + and - (as the page you linked to states) with the track inputs to a decoder, which have NO plus and minus. (yes they are black and red wires, by convention)

Basically the capacitor (and often a diode and inrush resistor) connects to the plus and minus "voltage" which is right after the full wave bridge on the input. This is raw rectified track power.

Find this location and add the unit. If you cannot find an illustration of the location, or if you are not experienced with figuring out circuit boards, have someone else do it.

Greg

#8 · (Edited)
Knut, I have tried the link but it just times out on all browsers that I am running (with adblock).

Greg, I was hoping that ESU would be able to relinquish that info but it seems not so far. I have contacted Matt and ESU directly, so I am waiting with bated breath..........

The Stortline module looks good. I have many options on the module itself (including building it myself) but it is the connections on the Loksound XL V3.2/3.5 that I really need to know......

#10 ·
Thanks for that.
It did take some time but I got through.
The infr is really pertinent to the non-XL version of the Loksound but there is a little info on the XL but no info on the specification of the components that would be needed or the full wiring.
I am gradually piecing this together....bit.....by.... bit :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.