Battery/RC in the Lionel BN GP20 w/sound - Page 3 - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2017, 12:03 PM   #21 (permalink)
Seņor Member

Mike a few comments:

In post #17 you talk about swapping trucks to regain better short hood operation, so I guess that is where you decided to swap them, but nothing changed according to post #20.

So, it would infer that nothing wrong with trucks. Could it be as simple as inadequate power combined with more lamps running forwards than reverse? (less currend drawn in reverse due to fewer lights, thus better running?)

My opinion is that the pack you are using is wrong for G if it tops out at 12v, and the MRC 9500 is rated 30VA, so 2 amps draw at full throttle would be maxing it out pretty much. Also, never trust meters in an inexpensive system until you check them with another meter.

Another item: the pulse power "goes away" around 5 to 6 volts on the output, so if you have heating of the motors, you most likely have a different issue.

Greg

Click here for Greg's web site

Note: Due to the history of acrimony from some members, I might stop responding in a thread, so feel free to ask me questions via email (not private messages).

PLEASE NOTE: I have disabled Private Messaging, please use regular email: greg@elmassian.com
Greg Elmassian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2017, 06:16 PM   #22 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Toney

You misunderstood Greg. The motor over heat issue was on another engine that didnt like PWM power. That was years ago. My point about the running better one way than the other is that the problem lies in the onboard Railsounds electronics. There is only 1 bulb differance between foward and reverse direction. The speed vs voltage needed is way more than just what a bulb would consume. Yes the transformer is underpowered, but it gives a baseline and it will run the engine in either direction for as long as I want and not overheat the transformer. Its only a temporary set up. I think the next step is to eliminate the factory sound, and just tie the lighting circuit to track power(its not constant lighting) and the motors right to the track pickups and see how she runs. Atleast by not needing the PWM to Linear board, I save almost $100 off the cost of the RC stuff. Wish someone else made ready to use Prime Stratolite beacon circuit(not a kit) other than Richmond controls. His stuff is great but a huge waiting list. Mike
SA#16
Mike Toney is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2017, 07:35 PM   #23 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Toney

Ok, I gutted the electronics, found some burnt parts on the lighting board, so I lost the beacon on the lead unit so I removed the stand alone beacon board from the dummy engine for now to restore the roof beacon on the lead unit. In the pic below, we can see the culpret for the high amp draw in foward direction. Mike

SA#16

Last edited by Mike Toney; 02-16-2017 at 08:45 PM.
Mike Toney is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 10:37 PM   #24 (permalink)
Seņor Member

Wow, well that sure could be the issue... congrats on digging in and finding it.

Greg

Click here for Greg's web site

Note: Due to the history of acrimony from some members, I might stop responding in a thread, so feel free to ask me questions via email (not private messages).

PLEASE NOTE: I have disabled Private Messaging, please use regular email: greg@elmassian.com
Greg Elmassian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.