Battery/RC in the Lionel BN GP20 w/sound - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2017, 12:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Toney
Default Battery/RC in the Lionel BN GP20 w/sound

A friend got me one of my favorite diesels, one of the power hungery 4 motor GP20's in BN cascade green. One of the few diesels that can run on my outdoor railway. I know there is little room in the powered unit for onboard battery power. And I would like to retain the railsounds as the sounds pretty darn good to my ears. I have the chance to pickup the matching unpowered diesel. I could put the batteries in the trailing dummy engine along with the RC. But what RC will not blow up the rail sounds boards? Need straight DC and no PWM. I have also considered making the powered unit single axle drive on each truck, eliminating one motor on each to reduce power draw. I do not pull long trains, so she would have plenty of grunt for my needs. Or has batteries come far enough to support the 4 motors and sound if I stuff a single big battery or a pair of smaller ones in the dummy unit? Thanks Mike
SA#16
Mike Toney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2017, 01:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Seņor Member

You can filter the PWM from the RC system to pretty clean DC:

Click here for Greg's web site

Note: Due to the history of acrimony from some members, I might stop responding in a thread, so feel free to ask me questions via email (not private messages).

PLEASE NOTE: I have disabled Private Messaging, please use regular email: greg@elmassian.com
Greg Elmassian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2017, 01:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ok, who's circuit is that? Something from Crest?
SA#16

Old 02-09-2017, 03:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Seņor Member

Notice the Crest part number on top? (They all start with "CRE" as in "Crest", just like Aristo parts start with "ART")

RLD has them in stock, you can also buy them from the new Precision RC company who has taken over the Crest product line.

I will provide links to make your life easy:

http://rldhobbies.com/pwctolinearboard.aspx

(Precision RC only shows the new "active" board, and it's $70 so forget that one)

Regards, Greg

Greg

Note: Due to the history of acrimony from some members, I might stop responding in a thread, so feel free to ask me questions via email (not private messages).

PLEASE NOTE: I have disabled Private Messaging, please use regular email: greg@elmassian.com
Old 02-09-2017, 03:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks Greg, I figured the "cre" in the part number ment it was a Crest board. Mike
SA#16
Old 02-09-2017, 04:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seņor Member

No problem... I think those boogers draw a lot of current, but they are pretty bulletproof... too bad Lionel did not continue in the LS market outside of toys.

If Lionel had kept going and MTH would have kept production going on the locos (instead of doing runs only once in a number of years), a guy could do some decent 1:32 modeling.

I almost went 1:32, but the lack of manufacturers, the flakey DCS in the MTH (not suited for outdoors or simple electrics) and how small it looked on the ground took me to 1:29.

Greg

Old 02-09-2017, 05:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have seen someone fix the swinging pilot issue on them and really detail up the bodies. Not a bad looking engine for the era of large scale they came from. Typical Lionel styling for the era. It is a shame, one of thier Atlantics with a reworked chassis, metal wheel sets would probably sell well today, or a 2-8-0 chassis under the same boiler. The diesels just needed an updated power truck with a single motor driving both axles instead of 2 motors and toothed belts or 4 motors. I am wondering how much thier pulling power would be cut if I removed 1 motor in each truck, say dropping the inboard motor on both. I might pull 5-6 cars max most of the time. Plus the dummy engine I plan to get to hold the batteries and crest reciever and PWR board you posted. Feed the lead unit thru a 2 prone jumper(MU)cable to the track power feeds. Mike
SA#16
Old 02-10-2017, 12:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Seņor Member

Why do you want to take a motor out? Battery life? Should be little difference, power is used up by the effort needed, not the number of motors.

2 motors will draw about the same current as 1 given the same loads. Been proven over and over. The issue you may have is that the motors are not very efficient in the first place, but no reason to take one out.

Greg

Old 02-10-2017, 08:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

This is true, and yes I was thinking of battery life. I should be able to fit a decent size battery in the non powered/non sound trailing locomotive. Will talk to Robbie at RLD about what batteries to fit. I want max run time, so I will go as big as I can fit. Mike
SA#16
Old 02-10-2017, 08:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Seņor Member

that sounds like a good plan, stuff the other loco with batteries

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.