Airwire G3 with Soundtraxx Econami? - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2017, 10:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Airwire G3 with Soundtraxx Econami?

Hey everyone,

I recently purchased an Aristo SD45 from eBay and wanted to give it the whole overhaul (Sound, Battery, etc) and was feeling to trying something other than Phoenix. I liked the samples from Soundtraxx and wanted to see if anyone had experience with Airwire, Soundtraxx, and Aristocraft products all mixed together. I also saw the CONVERTR series from Airwire but wasn't sure how they've would be compatible with Aristo. I know Airwire has the ADAPTA board for an Aristo/G3 combo.

Thanks,

Gary
Giant23Heavy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2017, 11:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

The AW Converters are a RC device that is designed to drive a DCC decoder with battery power. They are very simple to hook up, two wires from the battery, two wires to the decoder. They have up to 6A output.
Treeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2017, 11:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seņor Member

Yeah, a Convrtr that plugged into the Aristo socket might not be a bad product.

Or maybe they will offer the Adapta boards with a Convrtr built in.

With the costs of quality DCC motor and sound decoders coming down, paying for an "extra" motor control circuit seems to be an unnecessary cost.

Greg

Click here for Greg's web site

Note: Due to the history of acrimony from some members, I might stop responding in a thread, so feel free to ask me questions via email (not private messages).

PLEASE NOTE: I have disabled Private Messaging, please use regular email: greg@elmassian.com
Greg Elmassian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 11:35 AM   #4 (permalink)

Yes, the best application for them is to power a sound, motor decoder like Zimo.
Treeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2017, 09:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the info guys! Looks like I'll just stick with a G3 and Phoenix. But dang does that soundtraxx sound good...
Giant23Heavy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2017, 12:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
Seņor Member

Woah! You asked about G3 and Soundtraxx instead of G3 & Phoenix.

Some discussion on going Convrtr and an even better sound card (full decoder, not sound only)

So sorry, maybe we did you a disservice by suggesting an alternative that was different from the 2 choices you asked about.

Have you compared the soundtraxx to the Phoenix directly, in person?

Greg

Note: Due to the history of acrimony from some members, I might stop responding in a thread, so feel free to ask me questions via email (not private messages).

PLEASE NOTE: I have disabled Private Messaging, please use regular email: greg@elmassian.com
Old 03-14-2017, 11:37 AM   #7 (permalink)

Default Convertr-6 and Soundtrax Econami-400

The combination of a CVP Airwire Convertr-6 and a SOundtrax Econami-400 is a wonderful solution. The Econami-400 can power a 2 or 4 motor G Scale engine and give you wonderful sound AND motor control. THe Convertr-60 can put out enough power for the Economi-400 and gives you great wireless control by just hooking the unit between the battery & the Soundtraxx. An alternative to the Economai is a QSI Magnum which gives great sound and great motor / function control w heavy amp capacity. The QSI remote option is no longer made but you get the same thing with the Convertr-60.

If you have your heart set on a Phoenix I'd pair that with a CVP NW2 adapter board (built in radio and motor / function control). But the Economai and the QSI have great motor/function control & sound at a great price. The NW2 board also has built in support for the Phoenix remote control couplers - a real plus for switching operations. The NW2 board is small enough for most engines but you may have to fool with the daughter board w switches (meant to go behind the NW2 radiator).
DocJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2017, 10:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Seņor Member

Actually I believe the QSI radio receivers are once again available.

And to just help people reading, there was a product called a QSI Magnum that predates the current production unit called a QSI Titan... The titan has the "locomotive simulator/emulator capability"..

I'd like to hear more experience on the Econami power handling, especially in a 2 motor USA trains diesel.

Greg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.