G Scale Model Train Forum banner

Deltang

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  TonyWalsham 
#1 ·
#2 ·
http://www.deltang.co.uk/

another rc option/ also rc control for switches(tx27a)
I've been playing with a Deltang TX-20 kit, which does what it is designed to do. It is compatible with my fake-spectrum Orange receiver. It is much more usable than a TX with sticks!
However, it wasn't made for outdoor/garden railways and has limited range (no signal amplification, according to David, the owner, unlike a Spectrum.)

RCS (Tony Walsham) has worked with Deltang and sells modified versions suitable for outdoor use and for live steam and/or electric/battery control. He sells receivers and tx for modest prices. GR mag recently reviewed one and found it worked well, with good range.

#4 · (Edited)
Hello Peter.
David T thinks the main reason I get pretty good range is because the TX2 RF module is at the top end of a larger case.
With the components crammed inside smaller cases the operators hand tends to wrap around RF module antenna. Not so with the larger cases.
The GR reviewer is adamant he managed 200+'. The Spektrum RX he was using had both antenna wires exposed to the outside of the loco body.
The best I have come up with is about 150'. Enough for most users outdoors.
If enough people were interested I would be glad to make an RCS version of the TX-27 controller in my own case.

Lotsasteam. Even though both systems use 2.4 GHz they are not compatible.

#3 ·
Thanks Pete!
was looking at the TX27a ,curios if this switch transmitter could be used in conjunction with the aristo switch RX ? since both are 2.4 gig units will they bind together? The aristo rx is a good product butt using the TX(aristo) simultaneously while running a train till the screen shows up and you initiate the switch the train has already passed the switch!

#6 ·
With the components crammed inside smaller cases the operators hand tends to wrap around RF module antenna. Not so with the larger cases.
The GR reviewer is adamant he managed 200+'. The Spektrum RX he was using had both antenna wires exposed to the outside of the loco body.
The best I have come up with is about 150'. Enough for most users outdoors.
Tony,
I suspect there is more to it than that. Since hearing that it was my watery hand blocking the signal, I've been putting it down on the table and letting the loco run. I'm getting 50-100' max, though usually less.
My receiver had to be re-mounted with the antenna sticking out of the brass tender shell.

Another general comment. My TX-20 has no limit adjustments (it's the low-end model.) I spent quite a while adjusting servo throws so the loco works without any adjustments. Tony's RCS models have end-point adjustment. If I buy another, it will be one of RCS' TX5 or TX7.

#7 · (Edited)
Hi Peter.
Even though the human body is mainly water it does contain quite a lot of metals in minute traces. Enough to influence low powered RF.
The versions of the TX's I make do NOT have end point adjustment or servo reversing.
That is a feature of the DSM2-EM(AB) RX (made by Deltang as RX102(AB). This RX features automatic binding (does not need a binding plug). The RX also the capability of controlling constant brightness forward and reverse lighting using LED's.
Makes it really useful for use with ESC's that do not have lighting outputs.

#10 ·
Yes Pete.
A knob for servo reversing is better as it allows variable cut off during use. That is different from being able to program the RX for default direction, centre point and end points of three servos.
You could quite easily replace the switch yourself. All you need is a 10k linear pot and a 10k resistor.
For manufacturers like me, Deltang has at present, 7 different operating profiles available to suit different uses. I just usually buy my stock of TX2 modules with one profile, and change them to whatever I need.
There are are more and more after market Cottage Industries like myself using these modules to create their own variations. Peter Spoerer in the UK is the latest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.