G Scale Model Train Forum banner

GP30 Lights problem with REVO

5K views 35 replies 8 participants last post by  Greg Elmassian 
#1 ·
I know this topic has been discussed, but can't find it. I want to know if a fix was ever found which allows the Revo receiver to be installed in a USAT GP30 in those situations where the original electronics board in the loco is retained. I have in the past gutted these and installed Leds, but now want to do it without gutting the electronics.

please point me to the thread about this.

Bill

#3 ·
The quick and dirty method is to feed the original track inputs from the Revo motor output. That will let you not rewire the lights, but it will not give you constant lighting.

With the PWM output of the Revo, the lights will come on sooner than running on straight DC.

I have a page on my site for this method if interested.

Greg

#4 · (Edited)
........Or you could run the motors direct from the Revo and use a small relay to switch the polarity of the full battery voltage which would be connected to the old isolated track pick ups. Use a lighting output to control the relay coil and switch from Forwards to Reverse.
Switched full battery voltage gives constant brightness directional lights and and full voltage for the smoke unit.

#5 ·
Thanks Mike, Greg, Tony for the quick responses.

Greg, can you point me to the page on your site, I have searched GP30, your TE page, and the USAT loco page. I am missing something

Does anyone know of an available board that converts PWC to linear?? I know Aristo used to make them, but so far I have been unable to find one.

Bill

#9 · (Edited)
Greg, OK another quick Question. Does using a battery instead of track power change things in any way? Batt + to the input + Batt - to input minus.

Ok wired it up quick & dirty using battery. Motors run perfect, but no lights. Using my meter I probed the output from the main board to the lights but only get .65 volt. Even when I run up the power to 95, no lights. and still get only .65 volt. Should be at least 3.5 to 5 volts to light the lights. Continuity is good from springs to lights. Lights worked perfect on stock DC.

Bill

#13 ·
Loco Bill;

Ya might find some of what you're lookin' for within one of Mr. Norton's articles on their OVGRS site;
http://ovgrs.org/the-trains/battery-power-radio-control-and-sound/usa-trains-gp-30/

Does have a 'chapter' on lighting upgrades.

good luck,
doug c

p.s. i also tend not to find what i'm looking for on the new g.e. website. might be better (timesaver) if i send a email direct to greg asking if, where, pls. and thank you.

#15 ·
I'm not a fan of gutting unless forced to.

Even though I might never sell a loco, I prefer to try to work with the existing wiring, sockets, etc.

It seems like more work to understand the existing wiring, but once you understand it, it's a lot less effort than cutting wires out and soldering new ones.

Greg

#17 ·
Ted,

I read through your solution and it looks great. I found a source for the 57019's and I think I will try it since both you and Mike recommend it. Do the lights on the USAT locos work normally using the PWC to linear board, If not what differences have you noticed?

Bill

#19 ·
Bill,

You'd have to hack the lighting PCB's at both ends. You can cut the traces of the PCB's at the headlamps and drive them from the Revo RX as you describe. Problem is you need to drive the classification lights and the number boards too. Depending on your classification light and number boards needs various approaches are doable with the six AUX outputs of the RX (there are limitations). I have done this on several locos for others with nary a problem.

Michael

#20 ·
The classification lights are bipolar leds, 2 leads and reverse the polarity for the other color. A bit tricky to do with a decoder. I think I outlined how to do it with function outputs on my site on the F3 pages.

Just for grins I did one install with the stock lights and dropping resistors to see if I could do it... but the current draw of the incandescent lamps was higher than I liked and required higher wattage resistors.

If you want sophisticated control of the lights, I would pull the lamps out and replace with LEDs.

Greg

#25 ·
Tony, I considered that but sent away for some of the PWC to linear boards just to try it out.

I was fooling around today with the idea of going ahead and using the lighting outputs on the revo receiver and bypassing the the USAT main board. The output from the Revo receiver was 15.85 volts at the lighting outputs. So I'm thinking that I need to drop that to 5 volts if I connect to the upper wiring harness leading to the lights.
So I added a 1000ohm resister to the + output terminal on the revo and put the meter on it, I was surprised to see no voltage drop at all. I used a 1 watt resistor. I double checked the output with the same result. I know little about electronics, and wonder if you can burn out a resistor??? Or does there have to be a load on it to see the drop?

I will try the PWC to linear board first and go from there.

In the past when I gutted the units and replaced the bulbs with the led's, I always got rid of the bicolor class led's, because to me they just didn't fit prototypically at least to my liking.

Bill

#26 ·
Get an old L.E.D. and put a load on the resistor, if I recall correctly from my days in the electronics field, there has to be a load to get a voltage reading and the resistor has to be "out of the circuit" completely to get the resistance reading.

A 1,000ohm{1K} resistor is good, but a better alternative would be an LM7805 Voltage Regulator, as long as the + output is DC and always +, then the LM7805 will give a constant 5VDC output.

You'd wire the LM7805 {+}input pin to the + side of the + output of the controlling device, the center pin goes to ground or the - side, the 3rd pin is the output pin {+ 5VDC} and that would go to the + leg of the L.E.D.'s it would be powering.

One thing to note, the LM7805 can get quite hot, so a heatsink would be recommended for it. Also the tab of the LM7805 has a hole for a screw, but be careful as this metal tab is linked internally to the middle pin {-} or ground of the LM7805.

And to answer your question if the resistor is NOT of a high enough wattage to handle the current, yes, you can burn it out. Believe it or not the heating elements in some smoke units, the ones that can be replaced in, for example, fan driven smoke units, are actually resistors and these burn out, they just an inside out resistor to put it simpley, but the correct name for them is actually "thermistor" because the voltage is what causes them to heat, the higher the voltage the hotter they get, too hot and they burn out. Same with a standard resistor.

Most G loco's usually need at a bare minimum, depending is 1/4 watt, you really shouldn't need over a 1/2 watt resistor for most lighting applications. Minimum resistance I've used is 470 ohm, but most often I up that to 1k {1,000 ohm}, it does diminish the L.E.D. brightness, but not enough to really notice, especially if you use "super bright" L.E.D. types.

Good Luck!

#27 · (Edited)
OK...

First you cannot measure the voltage dropped by a resistor unless you have current flowing through the system, and a voltmeter is not the same as the actual load.

The voltage "dropped" is equal to the resistance times the current. The meter takes microamps to measure voltage. Try multiplying 1000 times 10 to the minus 6.

That shows the voltage dropped by the resistor is almost zero. So you should read basically the full supply voltage. Basic ohms law... so you need to know what the current draw of that lamp is IN CIRCUIT, and then you can calculate the resistance needed, but this is a poor way to do it, since minor differences in voltage can burn out an incandescent light bulb.

Turns out that most of the incandescent lights are fed from a somewhat regulated supply, so you need to measure that voltage, but be aware, you need to measure those voltages against a range of inputs.

Next there are several voltages in play in most USAT locos, again read my pages on the F3 and you will see the voltages I measured... it's crazy, and a lot of work.

Remember also that the current handling of the Revo is limited in the lighting outputs, so be sure to verify you are not going to draw too much current.

The "quick and dirty" method is sounding like a better choice for you the more I read here.

Greg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.