G Scale Model Train Forum banner

RGSEast Open House & many EBT Mikado photos

16K views 47 replies 15 participants last post by  RGSEast 
#1 ·
The sun came out (finally) and although the ground was mushy we all had a good time.

Here's our Host, Roger:

The morning ws damp and cloudy, but the Jolly Green Giant set off to crush any resistance. Here it rolls through the station:

Over the Aughwick River:

And again, from the other side:

Running hard through the canyon as the sun came out:

A large contingent from ECLSTS dropped in, including Ric Golding with his Speeder:

With the pizza finished and the sun shining (and the batteries charged at last), EBT #15 made an appearance:

The new turntable became the center for some complex RGS Mikado switching moves:

The two EBT Mikes were constantly meeting on their way up and down the mountain.... crossing siding at Three Springs (?):

Eventually they met at Orbisonia:

And carried on with the task at hand - hauling coal and freight:

See less See more
#6 ·
RE: RGSEast Open House & many EBT Mikado photos

Great pictures pete thanks for posting. Iforgot to take a picture of the speeder on friday so i went back on sat to get a picture of it but could not find it now i know why. I would like to do ours on the order of ricks. Thanks again for the post.

#7 ·

Thanks to Pete for the post and great pictures. The EBT trains were a hit at the ECLSTS and I know we had fun with them at my open house.

Many thanks to those who came and we will do this again next year on the following Sunday. Mother Nature smiled on us more as the morning wore on. By 1:00 we had sun with some clouds. Jonothan almost had some sunburn.

I am sorry to say the coal loads are stock Bachmann, but will be replaced as soon as all the cars are weathered. Real EBT coal will be crushed and spread on a foam base. Will post some pics when done.

Thanks again Pete and hope to meet more of you next year at our open house.

Roger

#9 ·

All I have and then a few of yours. I am enjoying my EBT experience, don't rain on my parade.

I have one Yoder car and one more coming. I will be able to pull 8 "shorties" and two 3 bay. Will be getting the coach 6 if that project goes through.

All those who owned large "fleets" of 3 bays did not show on Sunday.

Maybe in April we will be able to create long "correct" trains.

Nice picture of coal Peter. I am getting some real EBT coal to make my load courtesy of Allan Landis. Will post some pictures.

Rog

#10 ·

Great pics! Boy, those EBT mikes look great. I'm as green with envy as Rog's #14. (A little gunmetal paint on the boiler, black paint on the smokebox, and some judicious weathering and it could look like #14 "as delivered.")

Pete--of that particular style? 4, and not in that lettering scheme. Fudge the 2-bay to be representative of the PSC cars, backdate the scene to 1913 when the first steel cars arrived, and you've still got plenty of 2-bays to go.

BTW, Accucraft just posted that the EBT #12 will be out in "Spring 2010." Here's hoping! I can't wait to paint it green.

Later,

K

#11 ·

You mean the Jolly Green Giant is really a correct green for some era. And here I thought it was really a Tweetsie Color.

I am going to leave it as is until I do some detailing. What I do need is some good pics of the pilot beam and rear tender beam so I can get the air hoses and piping correct. Also need a closeup of the mechanical sanders that go from the cab front to the sand domes. Help!!!

Rog

#12 ·

The original specs for all the EBT locos from #11 forward called for Baldwin's "olive green" with "light chrome yellow (orange)" lettering. The olive green by all accounts I've heard is something similar to the Pennsy's "Brunswick Green," in that it was a very dark shade of green that could have been mistaken for black in the right light.

It's not known how long before the green paint got replaced by black paint, but knowing how quickly things got covered in coal dust, I'd image it wasn't too long before they looked black. The green on JGG is probably a shade too green, but with sufficient weathering, we can work miracles.

Let me get a few things off my plate, and I'll dig through my photos to see what I can come up with.

Later,

K

#14 ·

Roger,

I thank you for letting us run on your trackage for our connection from Ken Brunt's railroad to Bruce Chandler's railroad. It made a nice connection. I'm sorry our visit was so short, but we were cramming a lot into one day. Your railroad is fantastic!

Pete,

Great to catch up at the show and at Roger's. Your modeling seems to constantly get refined and you certainly do the EBT proud. Carry on, my friend.

#15 ·

Rick,

It was great to have you and your entourage at the RGS East. We had many new visitors that day.

Yes, Pete has been an inspiration to us all. Now with Allan Landis, Jim Stapelton and others we should be able to put on a good EBT show at the RGS East. Now for a caboose, combine and an M-1.

We will try to be open the day after the Fall Show. Maybe you can stay longer. Will promise new bridges and buildings.

Roger

#16 ·

Pete--of that particular style? 4, and not in that lettering scheme.

[FYI: We're arguing about 2-bays again.] I guess you're right. My 28' 2-bay had to have been converted by the time they built the 22' ones.

Re: lettering scheme - the Bachmann cardboard box with the hopper in it says "old-style lettering' on it. Maybe the next run will say "new style lettering".

Now for a caboose, combine and an M-1.

We are definitely short of end-of-train devices with only one EBT combine in the area. Mr K converted a flatcar to a slab-side caboose - maybe that's a quick fix?
EBT Caboose #26 Thread

Thanks to all for the kind comments. I'm surprised that no other visitor has any photos to post. Or is Randy saving his video for Youtube?

#18 ·

Pete, give me two weeks, and you can have hopper car lettering in whichever style you want. I've got to tweak the 2s, 5s, and 7s, but otherwise, the artwork is ready to go to the printers. The lettering will work for the box and flat cars, too, though you may have to change the capacity and weight numbers around a bit. I put enough numbers on the sheet to make that possible.

These will be dry transfers, and available through the FEBT Company Store. (Price hasn't been determined yet, but in line with dry transfer sheets from CDS, etc.)

Later,

K

#20 ·

That has evolved over the years. I remember early meets where 1:20.3 rolling stock was rarer than the engines. Now with all the built Hartford's and the plastic, we don't need to substitute the smaller equipment. Sure looks better and only a couple of folks on the open houses bring RC 1:29th trains.

It will only get better. I also notice more weathered motive and rolling stock. Mine included.

Now if we can get a M-1 and some combines. M-1 would sell to all, even non-EBT folks. Took a survey, as long as it wasn't over priced. MAybe we need a Master-Builder done on the M-1????

A real quality unit, not a slap together. I like underside detail as well as the topside detail.

Thoughts???

Roger

#22 ·
Well gents, hate to be a nit-picker, but what scale is Jack T's water tower? True, all rolling stock was in scale....The pump house is fine since he scratched that, but i cannot recall the Piko tower specs...
please do not all shoot me at once.

Jonathan/EMw

#23 ·

The water tank is a scale 1:20.3 model of the Jacks Cabin water tank outside Gunnison CO. The DRGW had two almost identical and one was at Villa Grove on the valley line above Alamosa. Both are gone now. But they we small and work well on almost any 1:20.3 layout.

This tank was built by Pacific Coast Garden RR Supply in CA. for me and Jack T finished and weathered it. They have a great selection of structures.

Roger Cutter

#25 ·

I am located about 30 minutes south of York PA in Maryland. Kind of far away from the shore. We do have an open house on the 18/19 April. Let me know if you are interested and I can provide directions.

We are strictly battery power and have about 1400' of track.

All good LS folks are welcome.

Roger Cutter

#26 ·
Roger, I know all about the jacks cabin tank, etc. I have a perfect spot for one on my line already planned. I was referring toe the plastic one in the yard next to he pump house that JACK THOMPSON built....That is a Piko that he nicely worked over.
Jonathan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.