Which Scale of G to model? - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2008, 12:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Which Scale of G to model?

Hi Guys,

¬*¬* I am just starting out in G-scale.¬*¬* I am intersted in modelling¬*an old logging railroad and want to start off in the right G-scale for me, one which allows for¬*growth and options.¬* ¬*I have done a lot of research on the various scales but still don't know what would work best in practice.¬*¬*¬* I would like to grow into whatever scale I go with and not mix the different scales if possible.¬* Could you please provide your thoughts on what I should consider.¬* Below are some of my thoughts.

¬*1:20.3:¬*¬* I like the idea of big trains.¬* I am not sure if they are going to be too big especially if down the road I buy something in another scale like 1:29.¬*¬* I understand that it will be more difficult to find structures & figures¬*¬* It sounds like this scale is growing fast.¬* I also like the fact that there are a lot of logging engines i could choose from (Bachmann & Accucraft.¬*¬*

1:22.5¬*¬*I like some of the LGB stock, but i am not sure how difficult it will be to continue to get and service this stock in the future.¬* My perception is that this scale is dominated by LGB, whereas 1:20.3 has more players.¬*¬*

1:24¬*¬* I don't know too much about this scale, but i understand makes for easier building since 1/2" to the foot.

1:29:¬*¬* i like the Accucraft-American Mainline engines, but there doesn't appear to be much rolling stock available from AMR or Accucraft in 1:29.¬*¬* I know that this is Aristo's primary scale

1:32¬*¬* I don't know too much about this either, but understand a lot fo musem qaulity peices (not my interest at this time) come in this scale.

Thanks for your feedback and help

-tcwave
tcwave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2008, 12:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
A Steamed Elder

Default RE: Which Scale of G to model?

If you want to model an old logging railroad, then I would choose 1:20.3. There seems to be quite a few Accucraft and Bachmann models to satisfy your needs. Accucraft can be pricey, but they are beautiful. Bachmann engines can run in the low to mid¬*hundreds and can be bashed to make a very impressive model for the money. Look in Garden Railways magazine and you'll find many structure kits available in 1:20.3 or you can scratch build what you need. I have been in garden railroading for about 25 years and modeled in 1:29. About 18 months ago, I¬*GOT the 1:20.3 "bug" and I love the stuff! The equipment IS LARGE, but with a logging operation, you can get away with sharp radius trackwork. Good luck with your decision.
SA #4449
Gary Armitstead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2008, 05:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

Wave,
the choice of scale comes from what types of trains you want to model..
what kind of trains you are most interested in.
you should make that choice first, then pick the scale to match that choice.

1:20.3: - also known as Fn3, correct scale for 3-foot gauge prototypes on 45mm track.
Bachmann spectrum engines are in this scale, and others.
If you like 3-foot gauge narrow gauge, Colorado narrow gauge, 3-foot gauge logging lines, East Broad Top, then this is the scale for you.
everything in this scale is 3-foot gauge.

1:22.5 - correct scale for meter gauge on 45mm track.
best choice if you are interested in European meter gauge trains.

1:24 - "generic narrow gauge scale"..most people model 3-foot gauge prototypes in this scale, although the scale doesnt match the track.
not one of the better choices IMO...not a lot available in this scale, and probably nothing new coming out.

1:29: - best scale if you are interested in Standard Gauge diesels, or standard gauge "late steam"..
but..its not the correct scale for standard gauge on 45mm track..the gauge is slightly off.

1:32 - The correct scale for Standard Gauge on 45mm track.
not as much available as in 1/29 scale, (except for live steam, where 1/32 dominates) but it is the correct scale for the gauge..
there is a never-ending debate on the merits of 1/29 vs. 1/32..personally, I think the war was lost ages ago, and 1/29 won.
choose 1/32 if you are a purist and need the gauge to perfectly match the scale, otherwise go with 1/29 for Standard Gauge trains..
there is more available in 1/29 than in 1/32.

The two largest "sub-groups" in the large scale world, with the most model choices, and the most likely future growth,
are 1/20.3, for 3-foot gauge narrow gauge.
and 1/29 for standard gauge diesels and standard gauge steam.

with less activity in the other scales. (in the US anyway..meter gauge modeling is obviously more common in Europe)

Scot

Scot Lawrence -
Rochester, NY USA
SA #2089
www.scotlawrence.com
Scottychaos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 05:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mik

Send a message via AIM to Mik Send a message via MSN to Mik

I use what purists somewhat snidely refer to as G(ummi) scale.... Why? simple economics.... The little people are most plentiful in 1/22.5, inexpensive diecast cars in 1/24, the budget Piko buildings are who knows what scale, but look OK with both... my rolling stock is nearly all bashed Lehmann Toytrain stuff.

Despite what many may say, at least to my eye, it all works pretty well together. But then I'm more concerned with aesthetics than scale or prototypical correctness.¬* Then again, my other choice would be no large scale trains at all because I couldn't afford it. [img]/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crying.gif[/img]
Mik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2008, 05:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

The best way for you to answer that question for yourself is to figure out which kinds of railroading operation you are most drawn to. If it's modern mainline railroading (by "modern" I mean 1940s forward) or branchline/wayfreight operations, then 1:29 is probably the best way for you to go. It's the de facto scale for standard gauge railroading in the US, despite it being slightly "oversized" for the width of the rails. Just the way history worked out... There's a good selection of early and modern diesels, and while steam loco choices are thin, there are enough to keep trains moving. Early steam (c. 1900s) is virtually non-existant in this scale, but equipment from that era is similarly non-existant as well.

If you're more interested in "homespun" railroading--short trains, simple "stop and pick up the day's load" operations, then perhaps 1:20.3 is going to be more your liking. As far as locomotives go, this pursuit seems to be the opposite of the 1:29 world. There are lots of steam locos to choose from from the smallest 0-4-0 Porters to the mammoth K-37, but virtually nothing for the diesel enthusiast. Most of the equipment available in this scale wouldn't be found (or at least built) after 1940. If "modern" is your thing, 1:20 probably isn't for you.

I don't see 1:22 or 1:24 remotely growing in the years to come. What's on the market now is largely what willl be there 10 years from now. With the exception of Hartland, none of the players in that scale have introduced anything new in nearly a decade beyond new paint schemes (so far as US prototypes go. The scale is still very active with European prototypes). Many of the folks still active in that scale are so because they've been at it so long that they've already got a significant investment that they don't want to change, or they've got physical space limitations that keep them from "expanding" to the other scales.

Later,

K
East Broad Top is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2008, 09:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Posted By Scottychaos on 03/22/2008 5:05 PM

choose 1/32 if you are a purist and need the gauge to perfectly match the scale, otherwise go with 1/29 for Standard Gauge trains..
there is more available in 1/29 than in 1/32.
-----------
There are more mainline RR models in 1:29 than in 1:32, at least that's how they're labeled. 1:29 is a rubber scale that requires the models be warped to fit on 45-mm track, which makes making anything in 1:29 less a matter of modeling than adapting. If you look beyond rolling stock, then you will find many more vehicles, figures, and other items in 1:32 than in 1:29. If you're into modern RRing and enjoy intermodal, for example,, than you will find 1:29 RR cars and containters, but almost no trailers to carry them offline. 1:29 containers are too large for 1:32 trailers and too small for 1:24 trailers, both of which are available in quantity.

Purity has nothing to do with it.

Mark
MarkLewis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2008, 04:45 AM   #7 (permalink)

"The two largest "sub-groups" in the large scale world, with the most model choices, and the most likely future growth,
are 1/20.3, for 3-foot gauge narrow gauge.
and 1/29 for standard gauge diesels and standard gauge steam."
------------------------

I think Scot is probably right, although it would have been nice if 1:32 for standard gauge had caught on sooner.

Personally, I like all of the scales and don't worry much about which is considered to be more popular. I tend to mostly go for 1:20.3 these days (Accucraft and Bachmann) since I like logging and mining operations as well as the interesting narrow gauge locomotives that existed in narrow gauge, but I also have some 1:22.5 (LGB) and 1:24 (Hartland/traction) models, as well as a fair number of 1:32 items (Marklin MAXI). At the present time, I don't own any 1:29 scale models, but that's only because I'm not all that interested in modeling more modern standard gauge in Large Scale, and don't have the space to do it justice in any case.

My advice is to decide on the type of railroading you like best and then go for the scale that offers the best selection in what you want. There is no "best" scale from among the various choices available; it's simply a matter of personal preference and the availability of items that you like.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:25 AM   #8 (permalink)

It really boils down to "what do YOU want to model?" once you decide that scale usually falls into place

Now it seams that narrow gauge logging has the strongest draw on you, then opting for 1/20 would be the way to go. The line of affordable stuff avalable in 1/20 today is really good compared to even just a few years ago, and an impessive roster can be had without the need for a trust Fund. Even just a single 1/20 Bachmann Porter and a few logging flats, one can build up a really well detailed small logging RR that used to be very common.

When I started I wanted to do mining RRs, so I got LGB Porters and other small engines, I decided to build up my layout closer to 1/22.5 at the time due to space restrictions, it works for me, lots of other modelers also built to 1/22.5 but nowadays its far trickier scale to start in. With LGB going kaput 18 months ago and Marklin dragging its feet reentering the US market, instock LGB has gotten thin, and prices remain as high as ever. I think LGB should be considered only thru Ebay acquisitions and for some items even there used stock asking prices are close to the new asking prices, so buyer beware.

1/29 is nice but I cannot think of any 1/29 stuf that would work as well or look as nice for logging as the 1/20 stuff would.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

I have adopted 1:20.3, except for LGB cog or rack portion of layout.

I did an archive search and (re)found some AMS short flat cars turned intosom wonderful logging cars by JMKING.
http://archive.mylargescale.com/foru...heel+flat+cars
A further search inside the archive SEARCH page available on the above link:
Look for AMS, in Modeling Forum, user JMKLING and you'll get a bunch more links.

Warniing, some of the pictures are no longer there. I MAY have them if you really want them.

One of the Vermont Garden Railway members has a logging boom setup that spends the summer out, and was recently shown at the Central Vermont Flower Show in Barre, VT. While I was there, I was stunned, and pleased for the builder, that a Vermont Forester there for the show stopped and was very appreciative of the logging section of our display. I'll post a picture later.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:08 AM   #10 (permalink)

Logging Derrick at Central Vermont Garden Show March 14, 15, 16 2008

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in