new magazines - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2009, 08:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default new magazines

What g-scale magazines do you have a subscription to. And why? For me garden railroad. i like the articles and looking at the pictures of peoples layouts.
pete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2009, 10:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default RE: new magazines

I have GR, Steam in the Garden and get the G1MRA quarterly journal(have to join the G1MRA). I was getting the NG books that Russ puts out(Old Outdoor RR) but they are pretty pricey, so will probably not get them again, since I do little NG.
Jerry Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2009, 11:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

What's G1MRA?
CCSII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 11:32 AM   #4 (permalink)

While not specifically about garden railroading Narrow Gauge & Short Line Gazette is the primo model railroad magazine that I get. It covers all scales but many of the modeling techniques as well as the plans are very useable in any scale.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:42 AM   #5 (permalink)

How many other magazines are there, specifically for G gauge outdoor railroads?

I agree with Richard, the Gazette is top-notch, inspiring and applicable to all scales. Speaking of which, Bob Brown's getting up there in age, I wonder who will take over the Gazette after he passes? And can anyone else maintain its quality?

http://www.raydunakin.com
Ray Dunakin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2009, 01:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Les

Ray,

You've nailed my biggest fear: I'm going to subscribe to NG as soon as the Eagle S*its. If Bob goes away, what's the mag going to be like? I have a number of back issues from the '90s.

I remember MR: the year I subscribed, after buying it on the news stand for a year, they started that d-d-dratted "Computerize Your Layout!" in the 80s. Twelve issues of what I saw all day at work. Sigh. I'd subscribe to it, but I'm snake-bit. What's your thoughts on MR, nowadays?

Just to be an annoying nitpicker, most of the stuff in NG is HOn3, isn't it? I'm doing 1:20.3, but as you said, the stuff in that magazine is doable in all scales. That's why I'm leaving GR and going to NGSLG. The construction articles and drawings are great.

Les
Les is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2009, 01:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Les

Jerry,

Could you please expand on 'G1MRA' a bit? What is it, never heard of it? Pricey? How pricey?

Thanks,

Les
Les is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2009, 02:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

I get 2 subscriptions, The Gazette and GR, I also pick up the Finescale Railroader quarterlies also, the UK publication Garden Rail when I can find it, the occasional Timber Times, and I just recently came across Narrow Gauge Down Under for those narrow gauge people down under.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Posted By Les on 01/09/2009 1:38 PM

Just to be an annoying nitpicker, most of the stuff in NG is HOn3, isn't it? I'm doing 1:20.3, but as you said, the stuff in that magazine is doable in all scales. That's why I'm leaving GR and going to NGSLG. The construction articles and drawings are great.

Les

I've been reading thru alot of back issues, while HOn3 was a staple back in the day, seams lately I've seen alot more On30 and a good sampling of large scale, but On30 is rapidly becoming the most common narrow gauge out there. Overall Its a fairly balanced sampling, I've seen everything from Nn3 to 1:1.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

Guys, although I share your concerns for Bob, last time I saw him--at the 2006 Garden Railway Convention--he and Irene looked pretty healthy. And he ain't that old, so I am hopeful that he'll be at it for a long time. After all, my styrene modeling hero, the late Al Armitage, lived to the high 80s, despite working around all those nasty paints and solvents. BTW, Al didn't let being a double amputee, slow him down (he lost both is legs in an accident as a railway brakeman).

Les, as for the modeling in Gazette being HOn3, yeah, there's a lot of it, but I believe it's because there's so many talented modelers in HO, which is the most popular scale. Gazette often features other scales--even F--now that Bob has himself a dandy outdoor layout to go with his fabulous indoor one, which is On3, I believe. And Gazette did have a two-issue feature (I believe) on that incredible, indoor F-scale layout that was on last year's Narrow Gauge Convention tour.
joe rusz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in