LGB Euro rolling stock - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2009, 05:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default LGB Euro rolling stock

I remember talking about modeling a little bit of Euro trains in the 1940s for my WWII Diorama.
I've now concintrated on trying to find a couple Euro boxcars and a gondola, perhaps maybe a flatcar or two, that would fit the era.
But I need to find them at an affordable price. I have plenty of euro tie style track to fit the area I will model. I thought of having a
track come into the small town area and curve off toward the edge of the table, but a switch with a siding or two along a depot type
building would work for me. Since part of this town I will model will be bombed out, it would be kinda cool to have a track ripped up as
if a bomb had hit it. Anyway, other than Evil bay, where could I find a few 40s era euro cars cheap or cheaper than retail ???
They can be used, not a problem as I will weather them up a bit. But I'd like to pay like $100 or so for 2-4 cars used rather than
$70-$80 each new. Any ideas ??? Anyone have some they want to sell or trade for ???

Thanks, Rocky

Old 01-25-2009, 12:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default RE: LGB Euro rolling stock

ask Vsmith for the address of the dealer of chinese cars.
in another forum i read, that they are really cheap. they got closed freight with barrel roof and gondolas
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2009, 02:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hi Rocky,

Out of interest which Country would this diorama be set in? If you model Britains WW2 railways, particularly the building up of troops and equipment leading up to the D-Day Normandy invasion, you could have a diorama with railroads, men and equipment off war plus ships.

If you opt for France then a different scenario would apply - a lot of SNCF infrastructure was destroyed so that might limit your options. Plus it should be remembered that some of the major ports were not captured for a while after D-Day.

If I find something, British, that might help I will let you know.

Old 01-25-2009, 03:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hi Rocky,

I knew of this layout, I saw it last year at my Heritage Railway week end where it was exhibited. It is superb modeling in "N" scale.

I don't know how well you can "zoom in" on your pc, but you will see there is a lot of info there.

For the record the station is one of the terminii of the steam railway on which I volunteer. Kingswear, my side of the River Dart faces the ancient Port of Dartmouth. Both places have long histories but Dartmouth moreso.

I hope this link helps you.

http://www.gwr.org.uk/layoutsmap4.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in