Our friend Dirk Carmichael is not doing well - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2017, 01:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Our friend Dirk Carmichael is not doing well

Dear fellow train enthusiast-

It saddens me to be written this, but our great friend Dirk Carmichael is not doing well. This past Saturday he was found unresponsive at his residence. Dirk was air lifted to a hospital in Tucson. Upon examining him they found two masses on his brain. Dirk has been placed on hospice care, and will remain in the hospital until he passes. Please pray for him and his family. This is a very tough time for all.

I’ve only been a member on MLS for a few years, but in that time Dirk and I became very good friends. All though we never met in person we had great conversations via text, email, and over the phone. We pretty much talked daily.

Dirk started an emailing group with Michael Glavin, Craig Townsend, Stuart Wakefield, Keith Stratton, Neil Wiggins, and I. We had great conversations and shared a lot about our hobby, what we’re working on, and more. This past summer Michael had a big work project. It was tough for Michael to stay caught up on our emails. Dirk and I had fun (and laughed a lot) at spamming Michael with over 100 emails that were train related, bust mostly friendly banter back and forth.

Over the last month or two Michael and I noticed changes with Dirk in his written and verbal communication. Difficulties speaking and lots of typos in his emails/texts. We became concerned over the past weekend and early this week when emails, texts, and phone calls were going unanswered. Dirk disclosed to me at the end of March he was having medical problems. Issues with vision and just not feeling well. I asked him if we could help arrange anything for him with getting to a medical facility, he declined. I asked him to reach out to his son and let him know, to which he did.

So with Michael’s and my concerns I reached out to Dirk’s son, Nathan. I spoke with Nathan last night and learned of Dirk’s current condition. Nathan said he knows Dirk has lots of train friends. I told Nathan I will communicate info to the train friends. Nathan also said I can share his number with any train friend who would like to reach out. So if any of you would like to contact Nathan send me a message and I will give you his number. I asked Nathan to give Dirk’s hand a squeeze for all of us and send our love to him.

It pains me to write this like an obituary since he’s still with us, but I want you all to know. Dirk, like all of you, have taught me so much about our hobby. I am going to miss our friendship. I will miss the late night texting of train photos and ideas of things we want to model. But I am SO proud to call you my friend and to have had this time with you. I’m grateful for it!

Last edited by ewarhol; 04-21-2017 at 09:00 AM.
ewarhol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2017, 03:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

I am sorry to here about Dirk's condition.

I always enjoyed reading his threads and posts.

God bless him,

-Ted
Ted Doskaris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2017, 05:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Journeyman Lunatic

Location: Deep in an under- ground bunker.............. somewhere in the People's Republic of Maryland

That's very sad news. Dirk has been a good friend over the years, and has displayed such vision and courage in his layout dreams.

In case the connection isn't clear, Dirk goes under the "SD90WLMT" moniker here.

Old 04-20-2017, 07:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Oh [email protected]

Neil - aka NordyWiggles

Tuahiwi Valley Lumber 2008 - 2012 (RIP)

Tuahiwi, New Zealand
wigginsn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2017, 08:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default Dirk has passed

Group-

I have just been notified that just over 30 minutes ago as of this post Dirk has passed away. His son Nathan informed me that he passed very peacefully. Nathan will let us know of upcoming arraignments, etc. Nathan said he knows his Dad is at home with our savior.

Rest in Peace Dirk. You are a great friend. I miss you dearly.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

I forgot to mention, Nathan said in time he will be looking on the MLS site to see his Dad's work and to learn more about him. So feel free to share a favorite story or memory about Dirk for when Nathan begins to read these posts.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Eric,
As I mentioned in my email to you, thanks so much for letting us know about Dirk, or as I liked to call him, the Dirkster. I will miss my train buddy very much indeed and our hobby world just lost one of the great ones. Very sad news, I know the last year was tough on him for a number of other reasons, but this is such a shocker. Dirk was a true friend, and he will be missed dearly.

Rest in peace Dirkster...

Keith 'KD Rail' Stratton
KD Rail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2017, 09:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'm presently at a loss for words and deeply sadden, you'll be missed Dirk. Tall rails friend.

Michael
Michael Glavin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2017, 10:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

Super Dirk, you will be missed. I am honored to call you friend, say Hi to Chuck N for the gang here.
John

His friend Jerry Dillon looked up at the hillside and said; There is a big ledge, and the whole damned hill is a total wreck with quartz boulders of ore.
Totalwrecker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2017, 01:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
Just another old guy

Wow,

I am very saddened to hear of Dirk passing.

Later Buddy

Tommy
Rio Gracie
tmejia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in