This should cause a good discussion - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2009, 01:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default This should cause a good discussion

Get it while the getting is good.

Information Super Traffic Jam (Read as the price is headed up big time $$$$$. )

SteveC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2009, 07:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Default RE: This should cause a good discussion

Terrific!!
Dwight Ennis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2009, 10:01 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hmmm! Looks like I'd better repair the holes in the ol' blanket and chop some wood for the bonfire.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:14 AM   #4 (permalink)

Isn't that article from January 2007?
cubythewater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2009, 10:24 AM   #5 (permalink)

Posted By cubythewater on 05/02/2009 10:14 AM

Why, yes it is!

-Brian
Old 05-02-2009, 10:30 AM   #6 (permalink)

This is a highly dubious argument. There is no lack of bandwidth, it's that internet service providers want to find a way to charge us more.

Think about it--why don't cable TV providers make the same argument, and try to charge you more for watching more? They don't have to, because the more TV you watch the more ads you watch. But the internet was designed to be free--it was designed as a free (meaning taxpayer subsidized) way for physicists and Defense agencies to share the use of supercomputers. It has no "front door," no "top". That's why, for example, it's hard to keep images from being simply appropriated. The internet was designed not as a profit making scheme, but as a way to share defense related info in a network that could not be easily "taken out" by the Russians, because it had no central core, no "headquarters."

This is frustrating to ISPs, because they realize there is heavy use and it's going to get heavier and they want a way to secure a bigger profit. The broadcast model, where ads pay for the service, seems to be working but they think they could make a lot more if they started "metering."

If I were king, I'd commit taxpayer dollars to improving the internet and making access as free and and widely available as possible. It's done a great deal of good. Not only online communities like this, but also online political communities and public interest informational sites. Not to mention how much has the internet boosted commerce?

But that;'s probably too much of a political discussion--in the meantime, I just tend to be very wary and very skeptical about this kind of argument. \They floated in back in 2007, and it didn't fly, but it will be back, I proimise

http://chnm.gmu.edu/courses/magic/westover/
lownote is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2009, 10:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

If I were king, I'd commit taxpayer dollars to improving the internet and making access as free and and widely available as possible.
Me, I'd commit America heavily to the space program, both unmanned robotic missions and to returning men to the moon and going beyond. Not only would it be a huge boost to the economy and create jobs, it also spurs technical development and science like nothing else. Estimates are that every dollar invested by the U.S. in space exploration returns around eight-dollars in economic benefit. An there are many additional reasons besides economic... it inspires kids to study science and math, can promote peaceful international cooperation towards common goal (in "2001: A Space Oddessy", A.C.Clark wrote about space exploration, "Man had finally found something as exciting as war!"), promotes advances in medical technology, advances national prestige, advances our knowledge of our own planet and biosphere by giving us something (other worlds) to compare it to (fundametal to gaining any real knowledge about anything), and may ultimately save us as a species though colonization and not "having all our eggs in one basket", and all with very little downside.

Is it dangerous? Absolutely, and lives have been and will be lost. Such has always been the case when exploring new frontiers. But the people who take those risks do so knowingly and voluntarily, and for peaceful purposes.

Most importantly, it offers the possibility of answering questions man has asked since the dawn of time. Who are we? Why are we here? Are we alone?
Dwight Ennis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2009, 10:45 AM   #8 (permalink)

It's a sales pitch. Invest your money with me because I/we can see into the future.

Craig
Old 05-02-2009, 02:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

Posted By cubythewater on 05/02/2009 10:14 AM
Yes sir, it is, but it's comming around again.

Beware surfers: cyberspace is filling up

And if you're interested in the original & revised study by Nemertes

Old 05-02-2009, 03:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

Posted By Dwight Ennis on 05/02/2009 10:41 AM
{snip...} Is it dangerous? Absolutely, and lives have been and will be lost. Such has always been the case when exploring new frontiers. But the people who take those risks do so knowingly and voluntarily, and for [peaceful purposes[/b]].

That is the only part of what you've said that I don't think you'll find support for across all of mankind's history, and as technology advances the control that governments have enjoyed thus far, will diminish.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in