G Scale Model Train Forum banner

Regner Heisler kit

16K views 74 replies 16 participants last post by  Ruger B 
#1 ·

Just a few thoughts, now it's mostly finished.
Rather than deal with Google translate, I used the English instructions from www.gardenrailways.co.uk

The steam line from the reversing valve does not resemble the one in the pictures. That's fine it was prebent but a tad long.

The exhaust line was it bit short and fouled the tab for the boiler hold down screw. I moved the hold down screw to the front of the smoke box where it's easier to reach.

You might leave the trucks off till the end, I had to keep taking off to reach things.

There a few, if any, spare screws so be careful.

Other than that it's a great kit and runs really well.

I added the details to the smoke box front, it looked really bare.

Harvey C.
SA 1838

Attachments

See less See more
#40 ·
Well this was a strange one. After screwing down the cab I had to fit a bolt behind the manifold to hold the steam line below the whistle.

It's essentially impossible - much easier to release the cab and get the bolt installed then re-attach the cab.

How did you guys do it? Did I miss an instruction?
(P.S. I already told Graham at Gardenrailways.co.uk, and I will be reporting my other findings to him. If you have any info/complaints, let me know. Latest is the headlight, which arrived with 2 bolts instead of 4. Good job I found my metric bolt stash!)

Attachments

#42 ·
Here's the new cover which came with the R/C kit. (A friend who is clearing his bushes promised me some twigs to make scale logs.)

The R/C gear is well hidden. I tidied up the long cables from the servos, and discovered the receiver would fit next to the battery and servo in the floor. The on/off switch and charging socket were pre-wired, which is nice. No idea what size the socket is, but my 5.5mm ones seem to fit. In practice, I charge the batteries out of my locos as I try to make sure I carry them between my 2 homes - I don't want to leave one for 6-7 months without a top-up.

Doesn't it look nice? Mine has the optional headlight and a Ronson fill valve. I even got the rods almost at the same position!

I put it on rollers and ran another steam test. I'll try to post a video when it gets some track time.

#43 ·
Hello Pete.
Nice installation.
I would caution against using that type of telephone socket.
The Jack will momentarily short out the battery as the plug is inserted or removed.
I would recommend using as DC coax plug which will not short out.

#45 ·
Hi Tony,
Thanks for the tip. I'm not planning to use the socket anyway, but now I will definitely ignore it! I have a bunch of 5.5mm plugs and sockets somewhere if I decide to start charging onboard.

Definitely have to tidy up all those wires. And I forgot to put the steam dome on for the photo - it was safely wrapped in a bag to protect it.

#46 ·
In my boats and trains I have changed to using dry cells, it eliminates having to recharge the batteries and have them go bad due to non-use. With dry cells they can sit for months and the batteries are still good, if they are dead then just a quick change of the batteries and the engine is ready to use.

Steve

#48 ·
In my boats and trains I have changed to using dry cells, it eliminates having to recharge the batteries and have them go bad due to non-use. With dry cells they can sit for months and the batteries are still good, if they are dead then just a quick change of the batteries and the engine is ready to use.
Several of my locos use regular (dry) batteries. I find it easy to swap them as necessary. But there are a few that don't have bettery holders so a "pack" of NiMH work better.

#49 ·
Definitely have to tidy up all those wires. And I forgot to put the steam dome on for the photo - it was safely wrapped in a bag to protect it.
I was tidying my bench yesterday and noticed the original bunker cover that came with the kit. I figured it might make a good front cover, as I already have a new top with the R/C bits. After being shortened, it fits beautifully behind the bunket extensions at the doorway. Now the wires are hidden and protected from the heat.

Attachments

#50 ·
I was able to run my kit this past weekend (forgot the camera) and it runs pretty well. It is now a bit better in forward than reverse so I think I need to back the clevis off a few turns. It pulls nicely and I love the speed, sloooooowwwww

I get about four laps around my layout before the butane runs out. It is a great quick to steam up engine.

I need to make a few new small cars to pull behind it and a small caboose. My AMS stuff is a bit too substantive to look right.

#51 ·
Mine gets its first run tomorrow, hopefully.

I need to make a few new small cars to pull behind it and a small caboose.
I have just what you need!

It even comes with a choice of roof.

I built it while in lock-down, intending it for my feldbahn - but that got an even smaller van. This one is/was an Ozark Clear Creek 10' kit. (PM me if you want it.)

#62 ·
fsts2k, (and anyone else with a Regner 'easy line' loco)
Here's something really interesting on the lubricator adjuster.

I was running my Chaloner today, and afterwards I drained the lubricator - lots of water came out (good.) Before I added oil, I grabbed a light and my phone and took this pic.

As you can see, the lubricator adjuster is doing absolutely nothing.

This is exactly how it came from the factory a few years ago. It took 4+ turns to close it, and I left it open at 2 turns. I think my Heisler is set to 3 1/2 turns, but I may just open it up more while it is running in.

Attachments

#64 · (Edited)
Hi Pete;

Have you noticed whether the oscillator engine units just seem to take more cylinder oil. My Chaloner is a real "slobber puss." The water in the condenser tank seems pretty oily at the end of a run. The Dora does not seem to use as much oil, but 15 minutes is a long run for that little locomotive. Just wondering whether heavier oil consumption is partly "the nature on the beast" with the oscillator types.

Regards, David Meashey

Attachments

#65 ·
Hi Pete;

Have you noticed whether the oscillator engine units just seem to take more cylinder oil. My Chaloner is a real "slobber puss." The water in the condenser tank seems pretty oily at the end of a run. The Dora does not seem to use as much oil, but 15 minutes is a long run for that little locomotive. Just wondering whether heavier oil consumption is partly "the nature on the beast" with the oscillator types.

Regards, David Meashey
Hi Dave,
Yes, the Chaloner water tank does get a lot of oil. (I started removing the drain before I start the run if I am outdoors. No reason to have to drain it indoors later!)
Maybe your Chaloner has the lubricator valve totally open like mine?

The Dora is also a dual oscillator, but mine did not seem to use all that much oil - but it did use some.

My Mamod Brunel and Regner Otto are only single cylinder devices - I did install a catch tank in the Otto exhaust to get the oil droplets off the roof, so the lubricator is working. (I should check the adjuster valve on that!) The Brunel also uses oil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.