myLargescale.com > Community > Forums - View Single Post - At What Point To Throw In Towel?

View Single Post
Old 07-10-2020, 12:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
Mike Toney

Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Toney

Ruger, dont know where your at in the states, but once we get past this covid stuff and steam ups start to happen on a more regular basis, hit a few. Retiming a Ruby to run right even baffles me and I have build Aster kits and run much more complicated models. Just cant wrap my mind around how to set those valves! But we have a gentleman, Jim Sanders of Wee Bee Locomotive Works, who is a whiz a setting the valve timing on these. As you hang around other live steamers in person more, observe what they do and learn, things will become less frustrating. Pretty much all the live steamers I have met thru the years are more than happy to help solve problems with your engine. You did the right thing, walked away and did something else for a few days. Then come back to the problem engine and try again. Our local steam group will be steaming at Jim's place tomorrow thru Sunday, not many are coming which is understandable. But the local folk will be running on his portable layout. Mike
SA#16
Mike Toney is offline   Reply With Quote