G Scale Model Train Forum banner

Bachmann to produce G Scale Dash-9

13K views 45 replies 15 participants last post by  Doug C 
#1 ·
Yesterday Bachmann Trains announced they will produce the Aristo Dash -9 in 5 road names.

UP with the Flag, CSX later blue colors, BNSF swoosh, NS Operation Lifesaver, SF red/silver.

Pricing to be announced and availability next year.

For diesels fans this is a big plus for G scale. Please show your support with lots of replies. We want this loco to be successful. If it is then we might see more diesels and cars from Bachmann.

I do not speak for Bachmann . I am a dealer who has been a long term G scaler trying to promote our hobby.

Don Sweet

#4 ·
I started listening on the 16th and then got boredand switched the video off.
Now I can't get it to play....but

I assume the mention of Aristo-Craft indicated that the Kader Group (owner of Bachmann) probably owns, the moulds and the loco will be the same as the original Aristo one, perhaps with some small improvements.

#8 · (Edited)
Bachmann published some more details:

This locomotive enters Bachmann’s Big Haulers® lineup featuring an advanced nonproprietary plug-and-play electronic printed circuit board to accommodate the control system of your choice, including conventional DC power, NMRA/NEM DCC, and/or RC operation.

Additional features include:
• advanced nonproprietary plug-and-play electronic printed circuit board to accommodate the control system of your choice, including conventional DC power, NMRA/NEM DCC, and/or RC operation.
• 1:29 scale
• two three-axle ball-bearing power trucks
• two motors per truck with low amperage draw
• operating diesel smoke unit
• white LED directional headlights, front and rear; ditch lights
• lighted front numberboards
• interior cab lighting and interior cab details
• lighted porch and step lights
• solid-metal railings and lift rings
• opening side windows
• engineer figure
• windshield wiper, see-through steps, and MU hose detailing
• operating AAR knuckle couplers
• extra weight for better performance
• factory-installed speaker with wire pigtail to allow easy installation of optional aftermarket sound
• length: 32"
Anything stand out that wasn't part of the Aristo model?

#9 ·
Nothing, except it will be interesting to see what weight(s) will be included.

Aristo changed the number, type, and composition of the weights over the years, at one time you got 3 nice two pound lead weights, and over the years you got fewer, but optional free ones, then you had to pay more for the optional ones, then WAY more, then they were converted to zinc and about half the weight, and there was a move to move to steel weights.

That's the only difference I can infer from that information.

I sure hope they test the socket as opposed to not testing and the wiring errors from Aristo.

Greg

#13 ·
That's a good question Pete, I will "wager" aristo, but what did they put on the eggliner that they are selling? That may be a clue.

If the eggliner has Aristo style couplers, then they have already used the Aristo molds to make Aristo couplers recently.

Greg

#19 ·
We got the Bachmann flyer mentioning the Dash-9s in 1:29 scale at the hobby shop today. Currently no mention of price or estimated delivery date.

Also got the 2020 Bachmann all scales catalog. Today was 09/24/2020. It's a bit late, don't you think??

Regards, David Meashey

Are these hard copies of the 2020 Bachmann catalog that was published on line back in February and the New Items flyer from July 2020 - or something new?

#22 ·
Bachmann UK used to be distributors for Aristo until a couple of years before Aristo closed, so maybe the DASH loco will be available in the UK and Europe. Bachmann UK are slow to supply large scale products - for instance it was ages before the switch stand was available in the UK.

I guess large scale is not their priority product.

#29 ·
Does not matter, the point Chuck is making is that not many orders will be taken by the retailers to hit the wholesale order target. The model train industry has always been expensive and those with small budgets will not get a look in - fact of life!

#32 ·
So, they were able to do 500 piece runs for many locos, and even split a 500 piece run into two 250 pieces, as reported by several major dealers before Aristo went bust.

No clue if the same conditions hold, but with the (apparently) higher price, and the fact that Kader/Bachmann are probably gun-shy, I'm hoping that they can make money with shorter runs.

If so, then we may stand a chance to see other products "revived"... fingers crossed.

Greg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.