myLargescale.com > Community > Forums - View Single Post - Can you test a loco using a car battery?

View Single Post
Old 07-29-2020, 09:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
RkyGriz

I'd like to chime in here and suggest something .I own 2 Lionel 4060 transformers. While I've upgraded to a more powerful Bridgewerks 3 amp power supply, the Lionel's are still very useful for testing stationary locomotives.
Lionel 4060 has terminals for DC power to run small G Scale locomotives like my Lionel D&RG 0-6-0,and Hartland 4-4-0's.
They also have separate AC terminals for running lights, and other accessories that require AC power.
Even though I've "retired" them, I still find them useful for various trains things including testing my Large Scale locomotives,LED's,running my H.O., and On30 scale trains.

The Lionel 4060 is often available on Ebay at decent prices, and my 15 years of experience using them has proven that ,while they are not adequate to run many Large Scale locomotives with lighted passenger cars, they are very durable, and long lasting.

The 2 that I own are some 33 years old as of this posting, and are working just fine.
Just a suggestion as you'll have to find what works best for your particular needs.
RkyGriz is offline   Reply With Quote