Rebuilding Rochelle IL Diamonds - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2017, 08:30 PM  

Default Rebuilding Rochelle IL Diamonds

For the past week or so UP has been spreading new ballast along the tracks at the Rochelle, IL diamonds. This from the Trains webcam.

Tonight it appears UP is pulling up track and rebuilding at least their two tracks on the west side of the diamonds.

They have to work fast as this line carries a high volume of traffic.
Pete Chimney is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2017, 10:30 PM  

It does appear the crews are changing our all four tracks and the diamonds. Thus all lines for UP and BNSF are currently blocked. The crews have erected large floodlights and will probably work throughout the night.

You may have to register with Trains Magazine to see the real-time video. Here is the link to the site.

http://trn.trains.com/videos/webcams...in-rochelle-il
Old 05-30-2017, 09:40 AM  

And this morning I just watch a UP container freight heading west cross over the new diamonds. All 4 mainlines for both railroads appear to be back in service.

The crews changed out the diamonds and approach tracks abut as fast as one would change out track on a garden railroad. Only difference the track assembly weighs quite a bit more at Rochelle.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:44 PM  

Hello Pete,
A few years ago I was in the UK and went over to the North Eastern main line north of Newark where it crosses over the old Midland line, two tracks on each line. Apparently the crews go out to this diamond every couple of weeks to do realignment as it try's to turn clockwise due to impact. The whole assembly is magnesium alloy for durability, but I'm not sure how long it all lasts. The trains on the North Eastern portion are restricted to 100MPH over the diamond, not sure what the east-west line restrictions are.
It's quite a thrill to see the smoke pouring off the brakes as the north-south trains slow down to 100mph for the crossing, half way across they are accelerating again.
Great to watch.
Cheers.

Last edited by harvey; 05-30-2017 at 09:50 PM.
harvey is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2017, 09:50 PM  

Pretty cool on both counts, y'all.
Around here;

Quote:
On May 26 2017

"Rail operating company Union Pacific is set to invest nearly $49m for the development of railway infrastructure across Missouri this year, in a bid to improve passenger safety.
The company intends to fund multiple initiatives as part of this programme, including the allocation of $43m to maintain railroad track and $3m to maintain bridges in Missouri.
Union Pacific will also invest $12m to upgrade the rail line between Labadie and Chamois, which will also involve the replacement of 92,174 railroad ties and installation of 34,481t of rock ballast.
Additionally, rail line between Mineral Point and Annapolis will receive a $7m investment to replace 57,489 railroad ties and install 42,462t of rock ballast.
The various projects are expected to improve the state’s overall transportation infrastructure.

“Maintaining a healthy railroad is the foundation of our ability to serve customers and communities across the state.”
The latest investment is part of the the company’s ongoing Missouri-based investment strategy, which saw more than $319m allocated to develop the state’s transportation infrastructure from 2012 to 2016.
Union Pacific plans to invest a further $3.1bn across its network this year.
Union Pacific Railroad is an operating company of Union Pacific Corporation, and provides rail connections across 23 states in the western two-thirds of the US.
"
http://www.railway-technology.com/ne...ucture-5825656
Old 06-16-2017, 12:42 AM  

Thumbs up

Took in that impressive (railfan) tourist attraction waaay back during my trip down for the inaugural MWLSTS in Springfield !

Very entertaining visit. If I had known how good the hwy was to Springfield I would have hung around for extra couple hrs. .

We have 2 CN (main+branch) lines crossing over CP mainline level grade diamond back in my hometown (central Canada) = more than 50 trains a day, but no one has the smarts in local municipal office, to develop it as a attraction like the folks in Rochelle did !!

nite,
doug
Doug C is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in