1:29 scale switching layout - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2010, 04:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 1:29 scale switching layout

I am interested in building an indoor large scale (1:29) switching layout. This layout will reflect the practices of the Delaware and Hudson of the late 1970s from Kenwood Yard to Watervliet (just north of Colonie), all of which is just a few miles North of Albany, NY. I have seen lots of pictures of G scale layouts in the basement, but they use tricks for getting track in like: (1) small radius curves and LGB equipment, or (2) small radius curves and short equipment, or (3) other scales that feature large scale figures like 7/8", etc. I have no interest for "roundy-round layouts if it means I cannot run 1:29 scale freight cars, engines, and such. So, no LGB central for me.

I figure it will be a linear layout, along one or two walls, in sort of an L shape. The lack of a continuous main line gets rid of my need for sharp turns. Switches will be #5 or higher, scratchbuilt. Equipment, following D&H practice, will be U23Bs and RS-3 with an occasional PA1 filling in. Here are my questions:

Are there any magazine articles or pictures online of layouts similar to what I am thinking of building? I know I cannot have everything but has anyone built a 1:29 scale layout in a basement? What suggestions/hints do you have? Will #5 turnouts take the type of equipment I want (Alco engines and 40/50' cars?)

Thanks!
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2010, 07:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default RE: 1:29 scale switching layout

Hmmm...

1) Just how much space do you have available? We do have folks here that have managed to put large scale layouts with R3 (8 foot diameter) or wider curves into basements and other somewhat confined spaces. Dave Winter is the one that leaps to mind, though there are others. If you have something on the order of 12 x 20 feet, then continuous run is a possibility, even with R3 (and maybe even R4) curves.

2) There are two classic plans for switching layouts: the 'Inglenook', which has only two switchs but requires something on the order of 16 feet of space in G scale; and the 'Timesaver', which has five switches and takes up about 10 feet of space. With wider radius turnouts, yoy probably need another couple of feet worth of space to house both layouts. The plans for both will turn up on a simple google search.

3) I am more than a little hesitant about answering your question regarding #5 turnouts and equipment, though I believe the answer is 'yes'.

(I have been toying as of late with a non conventional layout, intended for R1, but workable for R3 or better, that would incorporate a substantial amount of mainline trackage in a fairly confined space, geared for continuous run. For R3 curves, this would require a minimum space of about 16 x 20. Basically three circles of track twined together, with crossovers.)
ThinkerT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2010, 08:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

If you haven't seen them, these two links might be useful:

http://www.housatonicrr.com/yard_des.html

http://www.ModelRailcast.com/ShowNotes/Show104.asp

I am also planning a switch yard for large scale, but mine will be outdoors. I'd love to hear about your progress.

Good luck,

Tom
tadw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 08:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

I would take a look at the new Train-Li R7 switches, they are quite short.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the links and advice. I don't have the "space" yet, but am attempting to do a "feasibility study:" meaning, what is feasible and what size basement might be required. I know Tony Koester built a G scale switching layout to fit in a bedroom a couple of years ago in Model Railroader but I don't want to use 44 tonners or have that type of appearance.

Of course, the basement you get dictates what you do!
Old 05-24-2010, 10:03 AM   #6 (permalink)

A couple ideas to help with the "feasability study"

http://www.wymann.info/ShuntingPuzz...-EFRR.html

http://www.wymann.info/ShuntingPuzz...boken.html

Jan
Old 05-24-2010, 11:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
1st Class Member

somewhere in this forum.... John Allen's timesaver but I can't find it..... I may build it in 1:20 outdoors.....

Old 05-24-2010, 05:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

Check out the new Trains Mag as it has an article on the big UP yard and others. Later RJD
Old 06-01-2010, 08:45 AM   #9 (permalink)

I have and use the Inglenook switching puzzle included into my layout and I enjoy it .
Old 06-02-2010, 03:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

I have a modified "Inglenook" at one end of my layout. The yard limit on the Main line is one engine and two cars on either side of the main switch. The two yard tracks can handle two cars each, but the warehouse loading dock can only unload/ load one car at a time. The operation consists of shunting the loaded cars in, spotting them by the loading dock, shunting the empty cars out, then shunting the empty cars in to be reloaded. The car order is determined by drawing colored marbles out of a small peanut can. ( there are a dozen marbles in four colors)

Lot's of fun.

Jan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in